Sign in to follow this  
bid

Hedgehog!

Hi all,

This evening I was pottering in the garden, and I picked up a plastic bag caught in the hedge...and nearly picked up a hedgehog that was curled up underneath it! :D

I'd seen a hedgehog a couple of times in the last week or so, out and about in the garden, but thought it was just 'passing through'...but it looks as though it's living in our garden :clap:

I'm really chuffed because when we moved into our house about 4 years ago, the garden was just a patch of scrubby grass with no plants or trees, and consequently no birds or wildlife to speak of...but I've planted a bit and now we do get birds...and a hedgehog :)

I was reading about hedgehog houses...has anyone made one or bought one and used it successfully??

Viper, I know you're 'animal-mad'...any tips, please?

Boho :dance::D

I love hedgehogs - we never got them in southern Africa. :wub:

We have one that lives in the bushes under L's window and emerges about midnight to snuffle round the bins, much to her delight. We've had one or two in the conservatory occasionally as well, attracted by the cat food.

Never heard of hedgehog houses though. :huh:

K x

YOU AINT NOTHING BUT A HEDGEHOG

FORAGIN' ALL THE TIME

YOU AINT NOTHING BUT A HEDGEHOG

FORAGIN' ALL THE TIME

YOU AINT EVER PRICKED A PREDATOR

YOU AIN'T NO PORCUPINE.....

(John Hegley - I think!)

No hedghogs in SA? You're achidna-ing me, surely? ("and don't call me Shilrley!")

They like bread and milk, Bid, but he'll have FLEAS...

Pikey recipe... Clay baked hedgehog: :o

Roll 'stunned' hedgehog in 'pug' until completely covered...

Lob into embers of fire for about an hour...

crack open baked pug - spines and skin fall away from flesh...

yum yum... :sick::sick:

Recipe courtesy of Hugh Finlay Kitchenstool - The river lean-to cook book...

sorry, I'll get me coat... :P:D:lol:

Don't give them bread and milk! Their system can't take it. Dog food is good.

And cat food, as ours have proved. In fact I once had to remove one from the cat food bowl - (garden gloves essential for this!). The cat just sat and looked at it glumly, no doubt thinking "there should be a law against this sort of thing".

K x

What a coincidence Bid. we were going to DD 3 leavers presentation today and under a hedge Ben spotted 4 baby hedgehogs. They were about 5 inches from nose to bottom. And the most sweet little creatures you could see. " were curled up together and one was walking about. We covered them up with leaves and told the owner of the hedge they were there. It turned out it was the mayor who was doing the presentation of awards at the school. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Bid, if you want to feed it don't give it bread and milk like a lot of people do, their stomachs can't handle milk and they get the trots eventually losing too much fluid and die. So give it some cat/dog food, can be meat or bisuits and a bowl of water.

If you want to you can pick it up and give it a quick check over for ticks. they are quite large(about half a cm)bugs that attach themselves to animals and suck their blood. If they have lots this can kill them too. If you see any, get a cotton bud and some vasaline, coat the tick in vaseline (really coat it) this will suffocate the tick and it will drop off (ticks breath through their back)

When you pick it up I suggest you wear thick leather gloves or use several sheets of newspaper. Put him in a box until he uncurls then you can have a look at his face, usually on the face due to prickles everywhere else.

If you don't or can't do this don't worry too much he should be ok if you are feeding him. You can buy houses for hedghogs but they will find their own place to live. I would pick up the bag though in case he gets caught up in it and suffocates. If you have got some bushes or little nooks that he can go into he will be fine.

OMG, OMG, OMG....

I've gone off wildlife now, 'cos...

A MOUSE JUST RAN ACROSS OUR KITCHEN FLOOR!! :o:o:ph34r::ph34r:

:crying::crying::crying:

Boho :ph34r:

Do you think this means my kitchen hygeine is suspect?? :crying:

Nah, he's been chatting to the hedgehog and thought he would see if you had room for more friends.

Seriously, I assume you have food in your kitchen. Mice don't come looking for dirt, they want food.

Do you think this means my kitchen hygeine is suspect?? :crying:

Nah - it just means you need a cat. :D

K x

We had a hedgehog in our garden a few days ago! We havent seen one for years but I set up a little wild life area at the bottom of our garden, with logs etc and just left it. Id been watching a Bill Odie programme and I was shocked at how much wildlife is disappearing. Add to that I hate gardening it seemed the ideal solution.

My friend helps out at a wildlife sanctuary and she said that over the past couple of weeks they have had 36 babies brought in. Apparently hedgehogs are having a tough time because of the hot weather, no slugs etc and little rainfall equals hungry, thirsty hedgehogs..