Canopus

A job interview

Yesterday I had a job interview at an electronics company. The interviewers were very impressed with my technical expertise and knowledge of the company and its products. They also saw me as very enthusiastic and determined. However there was a downside. They brought up my lack of work experience in a commercial environment. My previous job was in the public sector. The interviewers were very concerned about my lack of work experience in a commercial environment and identified it as a weakness. They stressed that commercial environments function differently to public sector institutions, and every time I mentioned any computer or electronics work I have done, they asked "did you do this in industry?" knowing fully well I worked for less than a year in a private company. The interviewers also identified team leadership as a serious weakness because I have never managed a team of people before. Part of the job requires managing technicians although this isn't stated in the job spec.

My lack of work experience in a commercial environment isn't anything I can do about unless an employer bites the bullet and takes me on without much experience. So far I haven't had any success overcoming this catch 22 situation and see it as a problem rather than a weakness. I don't really know what to do about it. I have even tried applying for graduate level jobs but would companies want a 29 year old who has previously worked in the public sector to take a graduate position?

Hi Canopus,

This can be a bit disheartening but hang in there eventually you will get one foot in the door and you wont look back, once your in the skys the limit.

Be patient, sending you lots of these :pray::pray:

Go get em :lol:

:)

Canopus,

I know the work environment has changed, so this might not work, but my mum was a Personnel Manager before she retired. What she used to do in this situation, where she liked the candidate but had concerns over a particular area was to ask them if they would be prepared to take on a project for the company which would require them using the skills that she had doubts about. They would be paid for the work that they did, and a more experienced person would be on hand to guide if necessary, but her concern would be to see if they were capable of gaining the skills, with training if necessary. Perhaps you could take this idea to offer to demonstrate your ability?

Probably wouldn't work today, but just a thought.

Edited by Tez

The only solution to this catch 22 problem is to find a kind hearted samaritan who is prepared to bite the bullet and take me on with without work experience in the field. Alternatively I could bite the bullet and accept that I will never get a job as an electronic engineer and should channel my efforts elsewhere.

I see the job had a supervisory capacity in that you had to manage technicians would taking a step back and working as a technician within industry maybe open the door to promotion for the future into the job you really want. Just a thought.

good luck with it

Lorraine