Sign in to follow this  
Deblegs

GETTING A NEW SUPPORT WORKER

Dear All

I am still waiting for a new Support Worker. It is taking along time for me to get one as the agency that I am with are still recruiting.

However, I was told that the next support worker might appear to be funny with me if they don't understand me. I said that this was not acceptable, as I can't cope with people who go funny with me if they find it hard to understand me. I was told that you can do all the training necessary, but the support worker still might not understand, especially if they do not have much experience.

I have decided to give it another go with another support worker, but if they are funny with me because they don't undertand me, I am quitting the services altogether because of the heartache I suffer when people are funny with me.

I can cope with people not understanding me if they are not funny with me.

It is important that I have someone that has a big understnading of AS, otherwise it won't work.

From Debbie Hudson

Debbie I think if they are recruiting they should be able to find somone who won't be funny with you-it should not be so difficult to spot who has the potential-perhaps I am idealistic.Karen

Hi Debbie

Just to say I completely agree with you - surely if a support worker is 'funny with you' they shouldn't be a support worker? They should be trained, and have the proper type of personality to deal with people they might not always understand!

I hope you end up with someone nice.

Lynne x

That is totally OUTRAGEOUS! :o

They should not be employing people who "Might be funny" let alone be telling people that!

Sure they are answerable to someone you can query that with, it is not your job to make sure people are not "funny" with you.

Sorry I am so annoyed for you!

Hi Debbie

I hope this was just the agency's way of saying that it will take you and the support worker a little time to get used to one another.

I hope you do get someone who understands about AS and is willing to learn from you about your particular needs, such a person will quickly get to understand how to communicate with you and be sensitive to what makes you uncomfortable.

Whether experience is essential, I don't know. A friend of mine who has helped support my daughter wonderfully over the last two years, first as a carer and now as occasional companion had no experience of AS at all before she started. She is just very empathic and able to adapt to any situation.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I have worked with many people in health and education although not in relation to asd .I think it is easier to train somone who is understanding and motivated than to encourage a trained person who is unempathetic to work well with other people.Karen

Dear Lorraine

I use the Direct Payment Scheme.

Hello Debbie,

Can I just ask who is funding your support worker, is it Social Services or the Independant Living Fund?

Best wishes

Loraine

Dear Karen

I suppose that you might be a little idealistic. Somtimes these support workers start with good intentions but then when placed with people they then find they can't cope with not understanding the person, so they attack the person as a way of coping.

I do have a good support network at the church that I go to. Although they don't understand me perfectly, they are still nice to me.

I need a special person to care for me. My Mum was special but she is gone.

From Debbie

Debbie I think if they are recruiting they should be able to find somone who won't be funny with you-it should not be so difficult to spot who has the potential-perhaps I am idealistic.Karen

Dear Lynne

Thank you for your concern.

Hi Debbie

Just to say I completely agree with you - surely if a support worker is 'funny with you' they shouldn't be a support worker? They should be trained, and have the proper type of personality to deal with people they might not always understand!

I hope you end up with someone nice.

Lynne x

They are answerable to someone, but it was the someone who told me that a support worker might be funny with me.

I am not annoyed. I don't want to waste my energies on feeling annoyed because this only produces unpleasent side effects in my body.

At the end of the day, it isn't my problem.

Thanks for the concern though.

That is totally OUTRAGEOUS! :o

They should not be employing people who "Might be funny" let alone be telling people that!

Sure they are answerable to someone you can query that with, it is not your job to make sure people are not "funny" with you.

Sorry I am so annoyed for you!

I don't suppose experience is always essential. I do have two close friends that have not had any experience of AS. They are just very empathic. I have other friends too that are very empathic.

Hi Debbie

I hope this was just the agency's way of saying that it will take you and the support worker a little time to get used to one another.

I hope you do get someone who understands about AS and is willing to learn from you about your particular needs, such a person will quickly get to understand how to communicate with you and be sensitive to what makes you uncomfortable.

Whether experience is essential, I don't know. A friend of mine who has helped support my daughter wonderfully over the last two years, first as a carer and now as occasional companion had no experience of AS at all before she started. She is just very empathic and able to adapt to any situation.

K x

Debbie,

Do you have any friends or relatives you could employ. Perhaps you could make it known at church that you are looking for a carer/ companion.

Dear Karen

I suppose that you might be a little idealistic. Somtimes these support workers start with good intentions but then when placed with people they then find they can't cope with not understanding the person, so they attack the person as a way of coping.

I do have a good support network at the church that I go to. Although they don't understand me perfectly, they are still nice to me.

I need a special person to care for me. My Mum was special but she is gone.

From Debbie

Dear Debbie sorry your mum is gone.I know it is hard.My mam died 2 years ago in November and it is difficult.Ben has only been Dx in the last year and I missed having family to provide support.We are also fortunate to have some good informal support at church.It is still very hard to find people who really understand.Regards Karen