Sign in to follow this  
georgie

Statements

Hi

Just going through the process of my son's statement being put together (diagnosed with ASD, he is nearly 4 years old). I have been through all this before with my other child, but felt really disappointed with some of the reports that were put together, in particular by the S&LT. They seem to be based on what they could provide based on how little funding was available, rather than what my child actually needed.

Was wondering whether it was possible for a parent to obtain an independent report for a S&LT and how you'd go about getting it. Also, should I request a report from an OT - this has not been mentioned so far for my child, and I'm not sure whether I need one?

thanks in advance for any advice you can give

Georgie,

You can find out more about independent therapists here: http://www.rcslt.org/aboutslts/independentslts

should I request a report from an OT - this has not been mentioned so far for my child, and I'm not sure whether I need one?

If you're not sure whether your son needs an OT assessment why don't you approach your local NHS OT department for some guidance/advice?

If you want a second opinion have you thought about asking for another assessment and report from the NHS department your son is known to? I give 2nd opinions all the time in my department and I do it without any detailed information from the first SLT so my findings are impartial.

However, if you want to have a second opinion from a private SLT then follow the link Helen has given, it will eventually guide you to the ASLTIP website. It holds a database of private SLTs in your area. I have come across many private therapists during my time, many are highly trained and extremely professional. BUT, be aware of what we call the "Circuit Consultants" these are therapists who seem to appear all around the country providing what we believe to be a "recommendations for money" report. The one in particular I am thinking about is from xxxx (name removed by moderator) (yes Mothereve, I think we are talking about the same person) who writes unbelievable reports, that seem to cover all the support the parents are requesting regardless what the best type of support is suitable for that child. A SLT friend of mine was called to a tribunal to argue against this private SLT report but had to do very little on the day as the tribunal panel picked the private SLTs recommendations to pieces. They must see this kind of thing happen on a regular basis.

I always recommend 2nd opinions. But, try your sons department first and then if you are still unhappy employ the services of a private SLT. And please avoid the therapist from xxxx. (name removed by moderator).