Sign in to follow this  
hev

what are pixcels

steve wants a digital camera for xmas,ive looked onnet and one says 3m,does that mean 3 million?is that good?hes never had a digital camera before so a basic one will do,i think the more pixcels the better,is that true?

steve wants a digital camera for xmas,ive looked onnet and one says 3m,does that mean 3 million?is that good?hes never had a digital camera before so a basic one will do,i think the more pixcels the better,is that true?

Hi hev - you can get an awful lot of camera for very little money these days...

Yes, the more pixels the better, but 3 mill will be more than enough for general pics

More important would be the 'zoom' facility and/or a rear viewer... the very cheapest models don't have the latter and the zoom is all 'electronic'. Better to spend a few quid extra and get one with, say, 3x mechanical zoom and a rear display...

I got Ben a basic 3.1 megapixel 4x electronic zoom/rear monitor about two years ago, and it was around �30.00 in the sales then. It's good enough that when we are going somewhere iffy (mountaineering/kayaking etc ;):lol::lol::lol: ) I take his instead of mine.

His is a jenoptik/jenimage JD3.1, and if you can still pick them up it's probably as good a starter camera as you'd need...

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

Hi Hev,

A pixel is a 'dot' on the screen of your PC. Digital cameras are rated in pixels to give you an idea of how many 'dots' the camera will use to make up a picture. As the number of dots goes up, the amount of fine detail that the camera can record goes up too so buying a camera with a higher number of megapixels (a mega pixel being 1,000,000 pixels) means that your photos will contain more detail

I'll echo what BD said and recommend at least 3 megapixels (although you'd probably be hard pushed to find one with less these days) but I've always found that Jufi make really nice digital cameras (had a couple of others and they've ranged from 'ok' to 'dreadful' (and that was a Polaroid))

I'd agree with BD about the mechanical zoom - digital zoom really reduces the picture quality. Don't forget to get a spare memory card :)

There is a sale on at the moment at a certain well known catalogue shop :), I bought 1 from there yesterday for myself, its fantastic, but it will be to fancy for what you need ( manual settings as well as auto etc. ), but there is quite a few in the sale. I agree that optical zoom is better than digital to.

I would strongly recommend looking for a digital camera at a camera shop, rather than an electrical store. It's also a good idea to handle it before buying, because the feel is as important as the features.

The catalogue stores are a great place to get a price guide, but I can't stand the TV in the corner that shouts, "order number *** to your collection point please." I just pick up a catalogue from the doorway and leg it :P

My dad seeks out the best deal online, prints out the page, takes it into a shop and says, "I'd like one of these please."

So far, they've always matched his best online offer.

(And yes, he probably is an aspie.)

I also think once you see one you think may be suitable its best to do a good search for reviews & ask around to. I had remembered quite a few online friends had had the same type of camera I wanted, so i did also ask if any of those had any opinion of the particular model. I also spent hours reading reviews. Often makes of camera have forums full of advice. to. I do like to check things out. I even spent hours finding the best ones when I bought a new pan set for the kitchen a few years ago.