Sign in to follow this  
KezT

DWP/Carers Allowance difficulties

I am having an issue with the DWP over some carers allowance I was paid a few years ago.

I was overpaid a reasonable sum when I started working. I phoned and told them I was working, but they didn't stop the payments. I am currently repaying them the overpayment, but they say that they do not have a record of that phone call and therefore I have committed fraud :shame:

When I suggested that perhaps they did not record it, but I did make it, and that every company

has ocasional "glitches" they responded that they have "NEVER" received any complaints about the non-recording of information, and that "NONE" of their employees have ever had it raised as an issue. Also that their computer systemis aparently infallible :blink:

So out of interest, and as I don't believe that every employee is perfect!!! I was wondering - has anyone ever had to give the same info more than once/chase up the DWP/made a complaint? I could do with a bit of evidence to avoid a criminal charge of fraud :crying:

Thanks loads

I am having an issue with the DWP over some carers allowance I was paid a few years ago.

I was overpaid a reasonable sum when I started working. I phoned and told them I was working, but they didn't stop the payments. I am currently repaying them the overpayment, but they say that they do not have a record of that phone call and therefore I have committed fraud :shame:

When I suggested that perhaps they did not record it, but I did make it, and that every company

has ocasional "glitches" they responded that they have "NEVER" received any complaints about the non-recording of information, and that "NONE" of their employees have ever had it raised as an issue. Also that their computer systemis aparently infallible :blink:

So out of interest, and as I don't believe that every employee is perfect!!! I was wondering - has anyone ever had to give the same info more than once/chase up the DWP/made a complaint? I could do with a bit of evidence to avoid a criminal charge of fraud :crying:

Thanks loads

Funny you should say that...

My sister's in exactly the same boat as they overpaid her when my Nephew moved out into supported living accommodation. Like you, she phoned and advised but they failed to act, and by the time she realised she owed them money...

Similar problems for me after I advised them Ben's night support needs were no longer severe enough to meet the criteria for higher rate DLA. Despite registering surprise that I'd bothered to advise them ('most people would have just waited until the next time his DLA forms needed doing' the lady said) they also failed to get their act together and I have a £126 'overpayment' bill to find!

I think it's more to do with the new benefits legislation, and they're going back over old ground trying to claw money back... And though they don't tell you in the letter it's not DWP writing to you it's a 'debt recovery' sub-section who have no access to the actual files anyway! Leaves a nasty taste when on the one hand their registering surprise that you're being totally honest with them where others wouldn't be and on the other implying some sort of fraud has been perpetrated because they failed to act on the info you gave them! :angry:

Oh - and I spoke to them twice checking what info they needed, as well as to the advisory service I was referred to by SS. AND they had the changes in writing, AND they asked me to do a new DLA claimform as a direct response to receiving my written confirmation of the changes! :wacko::wacko:

Good luck with the appeal - and I was told they keep recordings of all telephone conversations for 18 months, so if that bit of info is true and you can give them a date or even a month they should be able to confirm what you've told them.

L&P

BD

Do you have a record of a time that you called or a name? I always try to keep a record of this now. Can you prove that you called them from your phone bill info.

I made an official complaint (dwp gave me incorrect info and so I was underpaid) and they did pay up (but it took several years for them to sort it out), so I presume they had a record of that telephone conversation. I have had to complain many times to various departments, but usually over their incompetence. I do tend to back up any phone calls with something in writing.

Do you have a record of a time that you called or a name? I always try to keep a record of this now. Can you prove that you called them from your phone bill info.

I made an official complaint (dwp gave me incorrect info and so I was underpaid) and they did pay up (but it took several years for them to sort it out), so I presume they had a record of that telephone conversation. I have had to complain many times to various departments, but usually over their incompetence. I do tend to back up any phone calls with something in writing.

It was three years ago! I only have a very rough idea of when I called, and as it was from whatever PAYG mobile I had at the time, I can't even remember what number I called from! I distinctly remember making the call because it was freezing that day :rolleyes: but can't prove it, and they just say they don't have a record of me telling them, and they can't be wrong in their record keeping :wallbash: