steverogers

Are Older TV Shows and Films Really the Best?

Just wondering as I've noticed that there's few 'older' people who use this forum, who quite often prefer older shows and films.

I personally (for the most part anyway) prefer older shows and films because of my watching nostalgia channels (and also the Gerry Anderson repeats on BBC2 which I'm sure we all watched when we got the chance) during my childhood and teenage years during the 1990s.

However there are one or two shows which I enjoy (eg Arrow) and a few others which I continue to watch out of loyalty (eg Doctor Who) rather than out of enjoyment of the quality, which is often lacking.

Also I enjoy watching some modern SF and Fantasy movies, provided that they have a distinctly 'retro' style to them such as 'Dredd' which is pretty much as close as you are going to get to an old school (18 rated) 1980s SF action film that you are going to get in todays ultra PC media world, and 'Chappie' which while it can be a little twee at the same time it's a VERY 80s film, albeit one made in 2015.

So what do you guys think?

I got rid of my TV about 10 years ago, so have no idea what's on now, but any glimpses of it I get I generally don't like much. My DVD collection is pretty much all from the years when I watched TV, although I'm about to find out how Star Trek Voyager ended at last, as it was still running when I gave up the evil one-eyed mind control device!

I think each program should be viewed on its own merrit whatever the decade in which it wad made. Its really a perspective of the individual and there are many shows that have a lot to offer. I like science fiction from the sixties to the latest productions. The one thing I do not like is reality television I cant obide that and dont really understand what goes on so I have no interest in this at all.