Photo

Confused by the lack of noticing expressions etc yet having a kind of sixth sense.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sslo82

sslo82

Salisbury Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:24 AM

Does anyone know how this is all explained.. I have read the usual things about not noticing if someone's bored etc.. but then I read about this strange sixth sense as well..! But I don't get how to explain this to others! It's like a cross between not noticing and then noticing too much..! I don't look at people much when I'm talking or they're talking.. so I guess I wouldn't notice things, I miss all sorts of little things socially.. but I know my children like they are a part of me so often feel I know how they're feeling, and my husband is diabetic and I can often tell when his sugar is low from tiny changes.. like he breathes differently or walks differently or he looks different. Can anyone explain how this works?

#2 trekster

trekster

Mt McKinley

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3600 posts
  • Interests:stamp collecting, cross stitching, playmobil, star trek, liverpool fc, computers

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

I've done some research online but unable to find anything concrete to show you. All I can think of is we notice things that other people notice and can put the clues together to reach a conclusion. This can be done in a scripted way so we can appear less affected by our autism than we actually are. We have adapted in a way and this is considered a positive coping strategy. Also family members are easier to 'read' socially than complete strangers. I am more likely to laugh at a joke that someone i know makes than someone i dont know even if they make the same joke. This is presuming it's my sense of humour as well. Hope I am making sense here?

www.leics.gov.uk/autism_social_scripts-2.pdf might interest you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users