sslo82

Confused by the lack of noticing expressions etc yet having a kind of sixth sense.

Does anyone know how this is all explained.. I have read the usual things about not noticing if someone's bored etc.. but then I read about this strange sixth sense as well..! But I don't get how to explain this to others! It's like a cross between not noticing and then noticing too much..! I don't look at people much when I'm talking or they're talking.. so I guess I wouldn't notice things, I miss all sorts of little things socially.. but I know my children like they are a part of me so often feel I know how they're feeling, and my husband is diabetic and I can often tell when his sugar is low from tiny changes.. like he breathes differently or walks differently or he looks different. Can anyone explain how this works?

I've done some research online but unable to find anything concrete to show you. All I can think of is we notice things that other people notice and can put the clues together to reach a conclusion. This can be done in a scripted way so we can appear less affected by our autism than we actually are. We have adapted in a way and this is considered a positive coping strategy. Also family members are easier to 'read' socially than complete strangers. I am more likely to laugh at a joke that someone i know makes than someone i dont know even if they make the same joke. This is presuming it's my sense of humour as well. Hope I am making sense here?

www.leics.gov.uk/autism_social_scripts-2.pdf might interest you.