• Announcements

    • Kris

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support

      <b>Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   </b>Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   <b>There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a></b>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   <b>However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.</b>   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   regards, <b> The mod/admin team</b>
    • Lufty

      Forum Software Upgrade   04/17/2017

      Dear All The Forum Software has just been upgraded to the latest version which is a major release which makes some major changes to the way the forum looks, feels and operates. Please accept my apologies for the lack of notice however it was essential that this upgrade happened immediately due to some major security issues with the previous software. Kind regards   Lufty

Money-saving tips for carers

45 posts in this topic

My son has been awarded the high rate caring and low rate mobility, so I have been advised to apply for carers......does anyone know if it is affected by your partners wages too or is it just the carers wages? Only I sent the form in and they have sent another one back asing for more information, mainly regarding my husbands wages?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really sure but I don't think carers allowance is income based. However tax credits are increased with DLA and so this may be affected by the income from carers allowance as well as your husbands income.


I don't claim carers allowance as I feel it will be just taken away from tax credits. If your husbands income means you do not generally get many tax credits then no problem. If they are asking for clarification of his income it could be to do with that?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your child gets DLA you can claim carers allowance. You must earn below a certain amount [google it to find out] if you are working.


As he gets DLA you can also claim the 'disabled child' element of working Tax and Child Tax Credit.


We get DLA and I get CA and we also get WFTC and CTC too. Although tax credits are means tested, for every £1 you earn over the threshold you lose around 55p in tax credits. So wages have to be quite high for you to completely lose all tax credits.


We used to get middle rate care and low rate mobility, but sent in information about a year ago and had both care and mobility reassessed as high. And that allowed us to get a car through the motability scheme, which has been a huge help for our son.


So you might want to have it re-assessed if the situation changes, or in a few years. In our case my son has always had a number of co-morbid diagnosis ontop of the ASD. But when he was diagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder and OCD, that meant that he was no longer mobile. Although he can walk he often cannot even get out the house. He has a constant fear of germs and contamination and needs a door to door service [via the car] to agree to go anywhere.


Maybe your area is part of this new universal tax credits where all the previous benefits are being emerged into one???


Phone your local authority and ask them if they have a Benefits Advice service that is independent and which can go through all the various benefits and give you a check up on what you can claim for.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, I was getting worried because he earns more than the £100 per week it stipulates you need to earn less than to be able to claim it (I earn less than that), so was wondering why they needed more info about him!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now