hev

trouble sleeping

thanks for the information. odds are my GP wont' actually know anything about it, but i have now found one who is willing to ask me to come back a week later and will find out information so she can make a decision. although it might not work, its worth a go. i've run out of options otherwise. although this will be my first conversation about sleep since the NHS diagnosis, so perhaps attitudes will have changed.

Hi NobbyNobbs

What was the outcome of your GP's finding out more about Melatonin? I have a suspicion that most GPs will be reticent to prescribe it. It sounds too good to be true - like most products which are meant to work wonders.

Has anyone tried magnesium spray? It didn't make any difference at all, although it did smell quite nice (fine if you like the smell of aromatherapy oils). So much for the placebo effect; perhaps it works for some people. DH said that it looked like one of those bottles of cooking oil sprays. Now there's a thought ... I wonder if cooking oil would have worked? Eeeh, I'll try anything if it might help, ha ha not. Isn't there a plug that you can, um, un-plug at night to stop brain going whirr, whirr, whirr?

Hey, it's nearly Christmas! More snow forecast tonight for this part of the world!

Have a good one,

Billabong

I tried to work for a great survey group 40 hours a week and my neck and eye problems weren't as bad before, but after they got severely worse. I had to quit after 2 weeks and now if I use the computer late at night my vision and neck problems are much worse. It's like if I try to read and focus my eyes too much I get an awful spinning feeling in my head (even while completely still). I'm tired of being seasick trying to read the computer.

I have always suffered from Insomnia, and go through some rather extreme periods (my record is five days with less than five hours sleep). I have been prescribed all manner of pills and potions and tried all kinds of herbal remedies ect. None of them have ever worked for me. Ive even managed not to sleep on a rather potent mixture of antihistamine's and tramadol.

Thankfully as I have gotten older I have found that I need less sleep anyway, but also that the periods between insomnia attacks seem to be a little more spaced out which gives a bit of relief.

I suspect that my Insomnia is AS related as it tends to be follow the lines of my mind not shutting off, obsession with whatever has crossed my mind ect.

I've long since given up on finding an insomonia cure and I just try to spend my extra time contructively or doing things I enjoy. The best I can do is distract myself by reading, which is something I do religously every night.

Zen