Sign in to follow this  
gladysmay

college - what help available?

college - my son got off to a good start and now is 'mentally worn out' and wants some time off to recover and to clear some of the work load that is building, what is or should be available to him?

Hi gladysmay,

From what you've said in your other posts I think your son has done brilliantly so far at the college. Is he going in full time? If the workload is overwhelming him this early perhaps he is doing too much and part time attendance at a level he can manage, might be better for the time being?

From what you've said before there doesn't seem to be much support available to relieve some of the pressure for him on a day to day basis. It would be good if there was someone there to liase with tutors and help him to manage his time and organise his workload. Does anyone really understand his difficulties?

I'm new to this phase myself and my daughter isn't doing a mainstream college course yet so I don't know what level of support one should expect. She is only going in two days a week at the moment, which seems to be a comfortable amount for her. Even now though she is struggling to get back into formal education and to cope with even smallest amount of academic pressure - and that's with support. Any hint of tests or exams seems to bring up all the old school stress for her.

I hope your son continues to enjoy his course and doesn't get too stressed by everything.

K x

thanks Kathryn and CarerQuie, my son rang the learning support person we have been liaising with for months while I was collecting my daughter and informs me he is going in tomorrow for a meeting. I am worried this will be yet another meeting which does not address his need or understand what he is trying to advise them of as to the help he needs. I have offered to help but as he is over 18 they dont want to hear from me.

my son has said that he wants to see all the staff to tell them himself he has aspergers so that they understand, I feel he should not be under this pressure to feel he needs to inform the staff, the ground should have been prepared for him surely? anyway, you are right to say he is doing well but it is taking its toll and we need to sort it out before it all crashes again. I hope they will consider fewer hours for him as this I believe would help.

I really would like a 'someone' to act as interface between what he needs and what the college is able or willing to provide, I thought this would be connexions but apparently not, then learning support but I dont think they have any training in AS or how do we account for the errors so far?

I do really appreciate that the good stuff, that he could go back at all after some of the horrendous stuff he has been through but in the end he is looking to get qualified and have independence and to make his own way in life, this is just part of the journey but it is uphill all the way!?

Reducing his workload might be a good long-term solution. The fact that he has studied and acheived as an adult looks good in itself, even if he doesn't end up with as many qualifications as he originally planned for.

Your son can bring someone with him to the meeting (or any other meeting) to help advocate for him. This could well be you.

Can your son write a short document about himself and how AS affects him? This could be given out to all of his teaching staff. It needs to be no more than 1 side of A4 if he wishes for it to actually get read. Information like an AS diagnosis might be being treated as confidential medical information. Your son may need to make it very clear that this is not confidential information, and he actually wishes for it to be shared.

A useful book for your son & his college tutors might be 'Succeeding in College with Asperger Syndrome

A student guide' by John Harpur, Maria Lawlor and Michael Fitzgerald. Available on Amazon.

Also if you look up the oasis website, they have some useful articles 'PREPARING TO BE NERDY WHERE NERDY CAN BE COOL: COLLEGE PLANNING FOR THE HIGH FUNCTIONING STUDENT WITH AUTISM' by Lars Perner, Ph.D. http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

thanks thats very useful. he did not go in today but I have spoken to college who seem so shocked, it feels so frustrating after so much groundwork was done and is still being offered on my part. he has said he wants the staff to know about his AS and is going in tomorrow to discuss reducing his hours. At 19 he is determined to speak for himself so it is him trying to explain his AS which obviously is not getting across. They do have his report but now seem to think he needs to be assessed urgently by their EP, fine, I know they do this to find out what level of support but where I digress is when they start to pathologize him and make it him who is the problem, rather than just gettng on and putting in some support, after all they have his diagnosis report what more do they want