BuntyB

So cross

We are currently trying to sort out secondary school for L for next year. She is on SA in our village school and coping well since Autism Support offered advice on adapting the curriculum.

however, C who transferred last year hates the local secondary school. With nearly 2000 pupils, it is overwhelming. She has a problem with short- term memory and gets very uptight and anxious if she can't remember what to do or where to go. On her IEP, it says all this and staff need to make allowances, but she constantly gets threatened with detention for losing items or forgetting, although it's not her fault and this stresses her out. Staff constantly apologise and remove the detention when I ring them, but not after she's had a whole night stressing about it. The sheer number of pupils mean that staff forget her needs and it happens over and over.

I phoned our LEA to discuss what we will do with L, as if C can't cope, there's no way she will. We'd like both to go to a small Christian school, but will have to pay and arrange transport. they say they can't help, since their needs can be met at this school since support is available. L doesn't actually need support, she needs a small, uncrowded school, since crowded places give her nose bleeds, so we avoid them.

Their answer to the problems? L should see her GP about coping in crowded places, 'since she will have to get used to it' and to prevent staff forgetting C had special needs, she could keep a card in front of her saying ' I have a short-term memory problem'. (Perhaps she could have another on her back saying 'Kick me'?!!!!!) Unbelievable.

Their answer to the problems? L should see her GP about coping in crowded places, 'since she will have to get used to it' and to prevent staff forgetting C had special needs, she could keep a card in front of her saying ' I have a short-term memory problem'. (Perhaps she could have another on her back saying 'Kick me'?!!!!!) Unbelievable.

I think that says it all - that is shameful.

Take care,

Jb

There are many reasons for difficulties in crowds the principals due to

1 visual / visual processing

2 auditory / auditory processing

If your child has a physical problem due to the environment and this environment is creating a danger then health and safety may be cited. In addition there is a duty of care to ensure that the environment does not make the disability worse.

You need to understand how and what your child sees and hears and if it is not appropriate then it is the responsability of the council to ensure it is. It may be necessary to apply legal pressure using the disabilty act. But you need to understand WHY your child is reacting first, the reaction is not without a reason.

We are currently trying to sort out secondary school for L for next year. She is on SA in our village school and coping well since Autism Support offered advice on adapting the curriculum.

however, C who transferred last year hates the local secondary school. With nearly 2000 pupils, it is overwhelming. She has a problem with short- term memory and gets very uptight and anxious if she can't remember what to do or where to go. On her IEP, it says all this and staff need to make allowances, but she constantly gets threatened with detention for losing items or forgetting, although it's not her fault and this stresses her out. Staff constantly apologise and remove the detention when I ring them, but not after she's had a whole night stressing about it. The sheer number of pupils mean that staff forget her needs and it happens over and over.

I phoned our LEA to discuss what we will do with L, as if C can't cope, there's no way she will. We'd like both to go to a small Christian school, but will have to pay and arrange transport. they say they can't help, since their needs can be met at this school since support is available. L doesn't actually need support, she needs a small, uncrowded school, since crowded places give her nose bleeds, so we avoid them.

Very unusual approach to inclusion-Wanted to put it more strongly but thought mods would not approve of what I would like to write. :blink::blink::blink::blink: Karen

My LEA are always coming out with statements such as these, obviously believing that they're right they even put them in writing to me, despite my son's statutory assessment identifying the problems as part of his disability and outside of his control. Big mistake! The fact that I could prove that such things had been said made it a disability discrimination issue and something that the DRC were prepared to take through tribunal for me. You could try giving them a ring for advice if you can't sort it without having a bit of ammunition.

Sorry, but I just snorted out loud in utter disbelief at these ridiculous suggestions, absolutely mind-boggling! :o What are these people thinking!! :blink:

~ Mel ~