Sign in to follow this  
hedders

asd and dyslexia

My dd seems to display alot of traits from both, can children with asd also have dyslexia.

She is nearly 6 has a very good memory seem to be a visual learner as she can write pages of letters and numbers but that about it, she finds it hard to recognise and label them and writes some numbers and letters reversed

Are there any warning signs in academic work related to asd and dyslexia combined which could be helpful.

hedders

Yes, children with ASD can have specific learning difficulties. My youngest has dyslexia and probable dyscalculia. It was a struggle to get him dx as his difficulties were put down to his language disorder. He too has an excellent memory, he's like a sponge. But when it comes down to the three R's he struggles tremendously (about 4 years behind peers). An ed psych identified him as at risk from SLD when he was 5 or 6, but that was ruled out by a special needs teacher. He then went on to be dx with dyslexia last October when he was 8!!

I'm not sure why, but apparently children under 7 are difficult to dx with dyslexia and most ep's prefer to wait until they are 7 and beyond.

Flora

i should of got advice when she was referred to salt at 3yr, i should of went to the dr when she was 4 to get advice but didnt she was my first child knew she acted differently but nursery said not to worry and the salt said she grow out of it.

When i did go to the dr she was 4.5yr and assessed by paed at 5yr, i left it to late the paed discharged her as the school said they have no concerns to paed and then said to me well all children her age have behaviour and social diffculties.

She doesnt understand her academic work and has joined a small group in class with a teaching assistant, i have just found out!

Im trying my luck with the ed psy but im reminded that they usually wait till 7 wheres the early intervention ?

IT APPEARS that if parents get advice when there young its easier to get a diagonis otherewise having left it like i did till she started school could take us 3yrs or more???

i BELIEVE SHE HAS COMPLEX NEEDS already suspected sensory intergration disorder, but also displays asd and dyslexia and fine motor diffculties.

My younger daughter who is 2.5yr has a paed app next week as she displays asd and sesnory issues at mo i bet she will be identified within 6months or maybe next week if im lucky, where its my older one that needs the support more, but im not delaying it this time i learnt my lesson big time!!