Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Delayed reply from LEA

Hi all,

I'm mid-way through the haggling over my sons statement. I sent a letter over two weeks ago addressing some of my concerns. I still haven't heard back :unsure: .

I'm not sure of the timescale involved in things like this (that'll teach me - i didn't set a timescale for a reply within my letter.... :shame: ).

How long should i leave it?? I've written up a short letter, enclosing the original letter - and included a photocopy of the recorded delivery slip :ph34r: .

:unsure::unsure: I'm not very pushy by nature - i'm finding all this 'go get 'em' hard........ :unsure::unsure:

When do you lot think i should send it????

>:D<<'>

Edited by smiley

Hi Smiley,

It's exhausting having to push the process forward all the time, isn't it. :wacko:

I think you should send the letter tomorrow, guaranteed next day delivery, and also ring them. The LEA are supposed to issue the final statement eight weeks after the proposed statement, but any meetings you ask for to resolve any issues can extend the time.

Keep on at them - it's not in their interests to hurry: the more they can drag out the process of negotiation, the less it costs them to provide anything. :ph34r:

Keep going! >:D<<'>

K x

Shouldn't the LEA give a date of when the provision in the proposed statement will start irrespective of the details being finalised?

My daughter's provision started on 1st October but we're still to-ing and fro-ing with the LEA trying to sort out the wording and haggling over how many hours she's going to get. In her proposed statement, in part 3, it says "from 1st October 2006......will receive....." and so on.

Lisa

>>Shouldn't the LEA give a date of when the provision in the proposed statement will start irrespective of the details being finalised?

As far as I know, no. The Statement does not become a legal document til it is signed off (ie: when finalised). In fact, I thought the LEA was not supposed to even name a school in a proposed Statement, as it is only then that they ask you for your preference. Also, if the details in the Statement are not finalised and agreed upon, how can anyone be sure that any particular school can meet those needs?

Re: the letter

If you only stated some of your concerns, then it is possible that they are waiting for the rest of your concerns before discussing revising the Statement. I would just ring the LEA ed officer and ask them whether they have looked at your first letter yet.

Karen