Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

Sueing the LEA

Hello,

M has been out of school for a year now and is only just being assessed and we,ve had to fight hard to get him this.

He came out of full time school in Jan 06 and didnt receive home tuition until April 06.

On paper it says he receives 5 hours per week but in reality its 3.

LEA are digging their heels in over everything and are challenging our private psych,s dx now saying that we need an NHS dx.

Our private psych has suggested we sue them as in his words "they have taken you and your son for a ride"

We want him to go to an ASD specific school which is out of borough, we had a meeting with the school last week and he fits their criteria and they DO accept our private psychs, dx as he is quite well known in the part of UK where we live.

even the headteacher at the special school suggested off the record going all out with our LEA as she said they have treated our son and us really poorly, they have places available from next summer but i just know that we will end up going to tribunal to get this school named on a statement which they may well turn us down for.

Right from the start everything has gone wrong, the school/headteacher/SENCO dissed everything that we said about M and the EWO we had to ask to be removed from our case as she was abusive on the phone to me when i told her that she had better get on with her threat to commence legal action rather than keep threatening me with it because i wasnt bothered any more by her threats.

Then the LEA lady said that Ed Psychs couldnt assess M at home as he had to be in school and the latest bout them not accepting his private dx, we have in writing on the minutes of the meeting and the SENCO at the new school (who is really nice) told me that the LEA phoned her up and told her under no circumstances to send out the letter to us but she replied that she had already done so and when she asked them why they said that she had spelt M,s name wrong. AS if the LEA are going to be bothered about a spelling mistake!!!!

JenRose,

It's awful that you have had to suffer such injustice. Have you been in touch with IPSEA? They may be able to tell you if you have a case. You may find you have a case against the LEA for maladministration which you could take to the Ombudsman. IPSEA helped me some do this some years ago when I had problems with the LEA.

The Ombudsman, maladministration in education

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=431

The best of luck.

Nellie xx