Sign in to follow this  
thepinkpanther

dietary intervention

can you guys give me your ideas on whether it is a good or bad idea to try the gluten casein free diet i have had him tested the results came back yesterday from sunderland advise was given for us to try the diet for him. My doctor said she will put me in touch with a dietician has anyone else tried it? did it help their child? or am I being cruel by stopping the chocolate stars he loves soooo much

Thankyou in advance for your replies

:notworthy:

Hi L is on a gluten and dairy free diet. I found it works well for him. I buy a lot of stuff as well as getting things on prescription. Morrisons, Asda and Tesco have special sections on gluten and dairy free food. Sainsburies do some of their own range as well L loves their sausages and ice cream.

Best thing to do is check out some recipies site and visit your library and get some books out. I did this at first read up on it and tried diffrent recipies. Dont get me wrong i have had some terrible disasters but on the whole i am getting there.

The dietician will also be able to advise you as well.

hope this helps :blink:

or am I being cruel by stopping the chocolate stars he loves soooo much

Thankyou in advance for your replies

:notworthy:

If you mean the nature's first chocolate stars brekkie cereal it is GF/DF(?)

In a nutshell - if the indications are that there's an intolerance it seems logical to try the diet... a six month test should give you some firm indications...If positive, the benefits to him are potentially huge, if it doesn't seem to make a difference, well 6 months weighed against the rest of his life is small tata's!

Whatever you decide, I hope the results are positive...

L&P

BD :D

If you mean the nature's first chocolate stars brekkie cereal it is GF/DF(?)

In a nutshell - if the indications are that there's an intolerance it seems logical to try the diet... a six month test should give you some firm indications...If positive, the benefits to him are potentially huge, if it doesn't seem to make a difference, well 6 months weighed against the rest of his life is small tata's!

Whatever you decide, I hope the results are positive...

L&P

no the choclate stars from mars i think they come in a blue and white bag theres popstar superstar rockstar etc on the bag bit like buttons only stars

no the choclate stars from mars i think they come in a blue and white bag theres popstar superstar rockstar etc on the bag bit like buttons only stars

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.... i think they'll have to go then! :lol::lol::lol:

alternatives (but check the packets 'cos not all brands are ok): Jelly babies/Dolly Mixtures/Marshmallows/Turkish delight (NOT the chocolate one!)... there are a few niceish DF choc bars about now too, in 'freefrom' ranges etc. Depends on the kid, but some see/feel the benefits of the diet for themselves (I was lucky that way :thumbs::thumbs:). it's much easier like that, 'cos they're keen to experiment... hope the god's smile on you >:D<<'>

L&P

Does any one know if the diet calms aggressive behavior? I am struggling to cope with my boys temper tantrums and am now ready to try anything! Really bad evening!! So desperate!!

Emma :crying:

Does any one know if the diet calms aggressive behavior? I am struggling to cope with my boys temper tantrums and am now ready to try anything! Really bad evening!! So desperate!!

Emma :crying:

very quickly- YES: it can help hugely for some kids... basically, the 'stuff' they get from casein/gluten is a long chain molecule almost identical to morphine, and the responses to it can be very aggressive/bi-polar...

some kids tend to 'love' the banned foods for the high it gives them, others seem to avoid them for themselves (but in a very slapdash manner) for similar reasons... That said, aggressive behaviour isn't going to disappear without other interventions, but at least with the 'trigger' out of the way you're free to work on them directly. first stage would be urine tests, though - gf/df won't help if the intolerance isn't there in the first place!

Hope that's helpful

L&P