Sign in to follow this  
Kazzen161

Hep A and Hep B Vaccinations

Does anyone have any info/links re: any possible adverse reactions/contraindications to Hep A and Hep B vaccinations - particularly in combination with AS/immune disorders.

It has been suggested T has Hep A vaccination cos he will be going to Egypt next year, and Hep B vaccination (cos he lives in a residential setting?). He had no major reaction to the mmr but I'm not 100% sure it did not affect him in some way. He has just settled down a bit, so I would not like to give him anything that would cause a set back.

Karen

Does anyone have any info/links re: any possible adverse reactions/contraindications to Hep A and Hep B vaccinations - particularly in combination with AS/immune disorders.

It has been suggested T has Hep A vaccination cos he will be going to Egypt next year, and Hep B vaccination (cos he lives in a residential setting?). He had no major reaction to the mmr but I'm not 100% sure it did not affect him in some way. He has just settled down a bit, so I would not like to give him anything that would cause a set back.

Karen

Hi Karen,

Why are they recommending Hep B. This infection is sprend via blood or sexual contact? If your child does have hep b course than it normally consists of a course of 3 injections and than not every one manages sero conversion. This would only be known once a blood test is carried out after the 3rd injections. I would be asking more questions before deciding if you wanted your child to have it. Are they giving him a course, will they be doing blood levels.

Hepatitis A needs to be given at least 2 weeks before you go and than a booster is due 6-12 months later. If you have the booster than you have 10 years protection. If you do not have the booster it only lasts one year.

Side effects are pain oedema and erythema at the injection site, asthenia, headache, malaise,myalgia, nausea, diarrhoea,fever and athralgis. Most people just complain of discomfort at the injection site.

regards

Jen

Thanks for that info Jen.

I need to check re: the Hep B - they said something about it being recommended for those in residential setting - but he was residential for the last five years and didn't have it.

Karen