Sign in to follow this  
star

AS and preschool friendship

Just wondered what level of friendships (if any) you might expect during the preschool period. and also is a 3 or 4 year old likely to worry about others saying they are not their friends (but without not knowing why?) or does this awareness develop at a later stage??

I know all children are different but just interested in hearing your experience as I've read that AS can be social but not always get the social rules corrent and I just wondered how this may effect the younger child.

Thank you.

Hi

My son will be 5 next month and he's just started school, so his pre-school year is fresh in my memory. I found that Robert became quite obsessive about another little boy. He wanted to walk to nursery with him and if this child was absent, he'd want to go to his front door and check! He also changed his teddies name to the same as the child. There were occasions when I invited the child round to the his with his mum. On each and every occasion, everything would be great up until a point eg if Robert got tired. That 'relationship'/'friendship' went pear-shaped. On the whole, Robert was unaware of the impact that his behaviour had on others ie other children in the nursery would give him a wide berth because he was very unpredictable. The older he's become the better he's becoming interacting appropriately. That said however he's becoming more aware of children running away from him, etc. Difficult one! Obviously that's just my experience and every child is different.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

el did the same thing with her little friend she had when she was pre school, she didnt understand the social rules at all tho....her friend pushed her down the stairs twice and el didnt seem that bothered by it, which seemed odd to me. luckily el wasnt hurt...... :tearful:

my 6yr old son was like that obsessed with one little boy, well he still is really every day i collect him he tells me that is who he has played with on his breaks, he talks about him all the time

Logan is in preschool at the moment - well ante-preschool and I wouldn't say he has any friends. There are 5 in his class and he recognises them and likes to watch them but thats about it.

Lynne x

Hi,

my son who's 5 has been in preschool this year (he's going to school next year). He likes most of the kids at his kinder and plays chasy and hide and seek and other structured games with them, however he's not interested in any of them really. The unstructured social games aren't his thing - he's happier playing his own imaginary games.

The social dynamics make it hard for him to relate to many of them and to fit in; the girls walk around hand in hand playing girl games and the boys are very physical (which my son isn't) and play footy (which my son is totally disinterested in) and wrestling.

He's not fussed though and is happy there.

Eva