LizK

Activities to help with listening skills and auditory memory?

My 5 yr old has always found listening and remembering instructions difficult and I think he has problems with auditory processing, sequencing and discrimination. We saw an independent SALT weekly in the summer and she did activities with him to help improve his listening like sound lotto or following instructions from a tape. Over the summer we would also play games like Cockadoodlemoo or do memory games and I think this helped. I've notced over recent weeks that his listening and ability to folllow instructions has got much worse. Some of it is 5 year old ###### mindedness :lol: but I wonder whether we need to consolidate on what the private SALT was doing. I need inspiration though for suitable activities as DS gets bored easily and has lost interest in the things the SALT had suggested. Also want to get school to do some of this work during the day too so need ideas for them.

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions of maybe recommend a book with suitable activities in

Thanks

Liz x

Hi Liz,

I have no suggestions because my son (5) is exactly the same. Sometimes I feel like I'm speaking to myself half the time (I'm including DH in this too!).

I think my son's listening has got worse instead of better - he can hear a dripping tap in the other room but can't hear me next to him! I'm very interested in some strategies too.

Eva

Hiya :D

I know how frustrating this can be >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

My son is/was just the same - things have moved on, he's seven now, and doesn't struggle with it as much as when he was younger.

I'd go back to the SaLT if you can - even just a call to have a chat, maybe she can send you on some more activities.... Sorry, not very helpful am I :rolleyes::lol:

These sites may be of help.....

APD

Afasic

Linky

:D

Liz my dd 9 has much the same problem and we have already worked our way through most of the strategies suggested by the SaLT. Does your son have access to and like computers. We once got this software called earobics from Hihttp://www.donjohnston.co.uk/catalog/earobics.htm . dd enjoyed it for quite a while but eventually became bored :) It had a series of games to improve your memory and got more complicated as you completed each level. Might be worth having a look. The sounds used were very American which was a bit confusing for dd at the time. The Don Johnston site has some good things on it.