Sign in to follow this  
hedders

another puzzle needing advice for

Sorry i have another question i need to ask in relation to asd

My dd who is nearly 3 has speech delay also confirmed by paed to be displaying autistic traits.

My question??

Her understanding is good, however she continues to speak on a 1-2 word level, if she is going something she can easily say what is happening, as if she is making observations. If i show her pictures of nouns e.g cup, boat etc.. she can tell me what they are.

But if something is out of reach and she knows what is there she will take my hand to it and grunt. Or she will beckon me to follow.

If we talk to her in a long sentence she replies" what "all the time.

Her longest sentence is" i want that" and "where are you" but this is done in a repetetive manner to toy adverts and if she cant see me.

Also when trying to talk to anyone she repeats her words and has diffculty finding the right words to say, alot of her words can be out of context.

She refers to girls by calling them all ellie and recently refers to boys by calling them jay.

She sometimes minic what people say but then never hearing her say it again.

Is this communication related to asd.

Hi,

I can't answer all your questions but some did strike a chord with my youngest.

R is 3 and we are waiting for him to be seen at the CDC, he is also currently under SALT. R is quite difficult to understand as he can't say most letters, he doesn't use the back of his mouth so uses b and d a lot. However although i know he understands me I have realised if I need to say anything more than say 3 words to him I need to slow down and say my sentence in 3 word sections e.g 'Did you see'...'that car there'...'he was broken'. He can then understand me. Before I started doing this he said 'what' everytime i spoke to him.

My eldest is 6 and had exactly the same problem except he would say to me 'what did you say'.

R also repeats what I say in parrot fashion and has big problems with convincing himself . So he repeats himself to me over and over all day long, the same sentence which is usually 'i'm a red man'!!! If anyone calls him by his name he screams and comes back to me screaming 'i'm a red man'

Is your child having SALT?

mum22boys