Sign in to follow this  
Einstein

My ds has quit Beavers and I'm upset!

Dominic joined Beavers last January and couldn't wait to get invested and he wore his Beavers uniform with pride. He went every week all last year and always came home full of enthusiasm and excitement on what he learnt that day. Each week they covered a different topic such as Chinese New Year, Road Safety, The Great Wall of China, they had a Mad Hatters Tea Party in March and in April he went on his first Parade.....

Ever since September he has refused to go. He's not telling me what happened to make him change his mind. The Leaders are nice and the other children are friendly so its not that that's the problem. He's saying that its boring! How can learning all about the World and different Countries, Customs, Traditions and Religions etc be boring?? He always comes home with such cool stuff. Once they learnt all about Chinese food and had a go at using chopsticks!

I don't get it! I haven't forced him to go at all and always make Beavers sound exciting but he is like a broken record "Sorry but I don't want to go anymore, I've quit"

I spoke to the Leader a couple of weeks ago to let her know whats happened and to try and shed some light to whats changed and she can't put her finger on it either. She said she'd put a note in the register to say that Dominic will be absent for a couple of weeks and to try again after the school holidays at the end of October.

I'm so sad about this. I really thought Dominic would love Beavers then move on to Cubs and eventually Scouts and learn some real life long skills.

Dominic joined Beavers last January and couldn't wait to get invested and he wore his Beavers uniform with pride. He went every week all last year and always came home full of enthusiasm and excitement on what he learnt that day. Each week they covered a different topic such as Chinese New Year, Road Safety, The Great Wall of China, they had a Mad Hatters Tea Party in March and in April he went on his first Parade.....

Ever since September he has refused to go. He's not telling me what happened to make him change his mind. The Leaders are nice and the other children are friendly so its not that that's the problem. He's saying that its boring! How can learning all about the World and different Countries, Customs, Traditions and Religions etc be boring?? He always comes home with such cool stuff. Once they learnt all about Chinese food and had a go at using chopsticks!

I don't get it! I haven't forced him to go at all and always make Beavers sound exciting but he is like a broken record "Sorry but I don't want to go anymore, I've quit"

I spoke to the Leader a couple of weeks ago to let her know whats happened and to try and shed some light to whats changed and she can't put her finger on it either. She said she'd put a note in the register to say that Dominic will be absent for a couple of weeks and to try again after the school holidays at the end of October.

I'm so sad about this. I really thought Dominic would love Beavers then move on to Cubs and eventually Scouts and learn some real life long skills.

I can understand why you're disappointed, but I see it a little bit differently. It's great that he went for quite a long time and enjoyed it and seemed to get something out of it, but maybe now it's just time for him to try something else. I know that, when I was a kid, I wouldn't have found learning these things interesting, although I would now, I'd rather be running about or riding my bike. Try and see it that he's benefited from joining in and is now maybe ready to try a different activity. Hope you can find something he'll enjoy. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

I know how you feel, J has quit 4 of his activities in 6 months and he said the same, that he just doesnt want to go, and so doesnt, we are doing more together now and I think J prefers that for now, he is having a difficult time ineracting in groups and been understood, on a one to one with a child he feel more comfortable but its still really hard for the child because J seems to dominate so much, but I supervise to support J with how to understand other childrens views and the way the other child may want to play as well.

J complained about the rules, that the staff where bossy, and that he can do it, he doesnt need to be told.

I think when its just me and J I do give him more support than maybe a leader can have the time to because they have other children to support all at one time.

We are doing lots of swimming and cycling together and he seems to be happier, he has a friend who visits also and that works well.

I am hoping that maybe he will want to join something in the future.

JsMum

Yes. it is very disappointing. I've tried everything with my DS, he went to cubs, cadets, swimming, horseriding and other things and after a few sessions he always said that he didn't want to go anymore. Once he said that it was because the other children rejected him and laughed at him. "Boring" can be just a word used to express their anxiety or something that they cannot express well yet. My son is now at an age when I have to let him choose and his choice is not to participate in anything, which is very sad. I haven't given up all hopes yet that there is a group somewhere that he will find OK, but I think that it needs to be extremely supportive. Sorry I don't have any good ideas to share with you. I hope that you can find an appropriate group for Dominic. Good luck!

Curra