Sign in to follow this  
linsha31

Help please

hello everyone i havent posted for a while things have been very tough and are getting tougher i have a daughter 13 with severe autism ,severe learning difficulties ,challenging behaviour she is non verbal and also has epilepsy ,she has a full statement but this statement says nothing about Autism ! ,she goes to a school for kids with severe learning difficulties ,for a while now on and off they have been sending her home at the fist sign of a bad mood unofficialy excluding her here and there ,well today they officaly suspended her for five days under the health and safety act and i dont know what to do now this is an SLD school ,what the heck ,there all oh yes this is the right school for your dd one minute whoosh one bad mood and no no we cant cope she is due to go to senior next year ,we have a statement review Thursday i asked for a review a while ago as i suddenly realised there was no mention of autism in her statement ,she will also have a transition review at the same time ,i have contacted NAS who were no help more leaflets in the post ! can anyone help ?? i know why she got distressed today her trainers were rubbing her feet and as she couldnt tell anyone she got more and more distressed and thats why she blew ,who do i call next ?

Thanks

Have you tried IPSEA? It sounds like you could do with some help before you get the statement review. I am a novice with statements but it's my understanding that all of a childs special needs need to be included so why is the autism not in the statement? IPSEA should be able to help you - it can often be a job and a half to get through to them but keep trying it will be worth it.

Here is a link to there site and there number.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/

Cat

You need to get the dx of autism written into her statement.Have you tried looking at autistic specific schools.You may find the school she is at at the moment are compounding the problem .........unintentionally/Does she have visual aids, timetable etc?.............do the staff use pecs?...........are they autistic aware at her school........?.........good luck suzex.