Sign in to follow this  
UltraMum

Just read this blog posting ...

"Don?t mourn for me. Don?t mourn for those with autism. Autism is a world ? a netherworld, a place filled with paradox. We need understanding for autistic people as both different and the same; we need acceptance of autistic people as intelligent, but also handicapped in a world that thrives on language and other physical and social functions; we need to provide schools that intellectually challenge persons with autism while providing supports in the environment for sensory needs and different styles of learning; we need you to understand that autistic people see the world differently and may behave differently, but are not to be viewed as a set of behaviours or pathologies that should just ?fit in? with the rest of society; we need you to understand that people with autism may appear disinterested but want to belong; we need you to acknowledge that autistic people may want to belong but also need time alone because processing the world is much more difficult; we need you to understand that people with autism want to contribute to society and the rest of us need to support education and occupational opportunities to enable self-esteem and identity; we need you to understand that as a family, the daily structure of our lives is different from yours, but we still want to be included. As a parent, I don't want you to tell me that I need to go out more, no. I need you to support the work I am doing right now."

:tearful::notworthy::notworthy:

>:D<<'>

This was posted just at the right time for us as a family because last night my 9 year son told me that he wished that he did not 'have' autism because 'having' something means that there is something wrong with you :crying: So after reading the blog today I asked him 'am I a woman or do I 'have' a woman? He said 'don't be silly you 'are' a woman. I said and you 'are' autistic you don't have autism which means that you do not have anything wrong with you - does that make sense to you?' He said that it did and smiled at me - so thanks for the post and for the blog :tearful:

Cat

Edited by Cat

Ive always said i would never want to alter or change my son my son is autistic its what makes him him and i wouldnt want to change any of that.

I wish i could change the rest of the world.............thats the problem there ignorant attitiudes.

This was posted just at the right time for us as a family because last night my 9 year son told me that he wished that he did not 'have' autism because 'having' something means that there is something wrong with you :crying: So after reading the blog today I asked him 'am I a woman or do I 'have' a woman? He said 'don't be silly you 'are' a woman. I said and you 'are' autistic you don't have autism which means that you do not have anything wrong with you - does that make sense to you?' He said that it did and smiled at me - so thanks for the post and for the blog :tearful:

Cat

Glad it came at the right time for you Cat - what a clever way of putting it to your son :)

Ive always said i would never want to alter or change my son my son is autistic its what makes him him and i wouldnt want to change any of that.

I wish i could change the rest of the world.............thats the problem there ignorant attitiudes.

One person at a time :) - but it takes a long time :( - we need to continue to advocate for our children... until the world listens more clearly to them