Lindyloo

Information wanted: Assessment and diagnosis of ASD

Hi There,

After about 18 months of fighting, Luke's CAMHS psyciatrist has finally agreed that he does display autistic traits and is somewhere on the spectrum (Luke was diagnised with ADHD when he was 4 - he is now almost 7) He believes that he may have Asperegers.

He has said he would like to refer him to someone called ****** ******* for further assesment. From what he said, it soulds like she is one of the key people in Staffordshire for deailing with ASD disgnisis. I was really just wondering if anyone on here is from Staffordshire and has any experience of her, or can give me any clues what to expect next. We have alreay had to complete an early development questionaire.

Many Thanks,

Linda

Sorry Linda, we can't name professionals on the forum. I've edited your post and the title accordingly, but I've tried to leave enough information for people to respond to this.

If anyone can help, please can you contact Lindyloo via pm.

Thanks,

Kathryn

Edited by Kathryn

Sorry - hadn't realised that. I'll remenber for next time :D

I would still be interested if anyone can give me any information as to what to expect next.

Thanks,

Linda

Hi Lindyloo,

Unforunately I don't have any further info regarding the diagnosis process because I was only diagnosed last year as an adult and this had to be done in Birmingham because I was told there was no one in Staffordshire who could make the diagnosis of an adult (grrrrrr, this was a blatant lie I have since found out). But I just wanted to suggest that you could try getting in touch with either the North Staffs Asperger/Autism Association or Autism West Midlands for further advice. Or the National Autistic Society. I have been to the North Staffs offices to have a chat with a member of staff earlier in the year when I wasn't coping very well on my own because my parents were on holiday. It is a very small place but might be ideal for a one-to-one chat. I'm not sure where in Staffs it is in regards to you, but it is in Newcastle Under Lyme, but here's the link to the website anyway North Staffs Asperger/Autism Association

The only downside to NSAAA I find is that they describe people who have Aspergers as people 'who suffer from' Aspergers. This is only because it contradicts in what I believe, nothing else. While I might face challenges or have to deal with things that non-Aspergers people don't have to, I certainly don't 'suffer' all day every day. There are many positives to Aspergers Syndrome that people forget! :D

Hope this helps,

Emily

xxx