Sign in to follow this  
witsend

proposed statement

Hi - as some of you will know am going through tricky situation at the moment with my son not liking his special school and have requested the LEA change him to mainstream. Whilst this is ongoing (meetings being set up etc) the LEA have just sent me sons most recent proposed statement from the last reassesment / review meeting we had in the summer. The thing is the statement is vafgue in parts andf I'm not happy with that, but also now my son is wanting to change schools the bit of the statement that says a special school is recommended I obviously now don't know if i want it to say that!

Do I have to get this part altered in order to have a chance of getting him transffered to mainstream? And what will happen next when I write and tell them I'm not agreeing with the proposed statement?

I did ring Ipsea about it and they said to get the statement finalised as it is then go straight to appeal! But I'm still hopeful of getting LEA to change their minds about the special school placement without having to resort to that, having said that thought the meeting which was supposed to be before Xmas to discuss the school transfer thing has now been put back to end of January!

Also don't know if there's any point having this meeting as it going to be at the school my son is at now where he is unhappy and I'm sure it's going to take the line of "how can we make it better for him" not "OK lets move him" and to be honest I rally don't think son is going to change his mind about wnating to move schools no way no how!

Maybe we should just be having a meeting without the school or maybe with the next potential school?? :blink:

Sorry this is really rambly and probably unclear am rushing at the moment and my head is now really in bits with it all. :(

Any ideas?

Luv Witsend.

Go through it with a fine tooth comb and write out what you want it to say, in exact water tight wording.

Then ask for a meeting with the LEA and send them a copy of what you have written (before the meeting so they have time to consider it)

Make sure you also write WHY you need things worded in a particular way.

Also make sure you let them know you are not willing to accept the proposed statement as it currently is within the time limit!

If you have a Parent Partnership get them involved too.

Thanks - I've rung LEA and told them I need to think some things over re the statement so I will need longer than 15 days and have rung parent partnership and am getting someone to come and look over the statement with me.

Luv Witsend.