Sign in to follow this  
loupin

Can any one advise me on statementing!?

My son is 6 and in yr 2(asd,spd,learning dis). The ed psyc came in 4/5months ago did 10mins observation and said he wouldn't qualify for the higher end statement so it wasn't worth him having it at the moment as school were already doing so much for him. They have a resident TA in every class and a parent helper and there are only 18 in the class. He advised that they collect information for the next 6months and then apply. We all agreed as we couldn't see the benefit if as it seemed it was a paper work excersise that wouldn't benefit my son. I'm now beginning to wonder! At the end of last tem my son was exhausted and was seriously acting out as soon as I picked him up, the hols have been ok but if you read my posts earlier this week then you will recall that the mere mention of the return to school has sent him crazy again. Today was the first day back and tonight has been hell! He has tried to tell me that the teacher wont help him and he can't do anything!! "They keep telling me to do all these things and i have no ideas" eventually it transpired its writing tasks he cant do. He also is having a run in with a couple of other kids who basically aren't agreeing with his obsession (that herbie is the fastest car and can beat everything!!!). Knowing my son he will plague these kids until they either punch him or agree just to shut him up! even then he will keep on! To us he has no understanding at all that the other kids need the teachers attention or that he should maybe try and do things. Our clinical psychologist said after a 2hr observation that he was settled the school were lovely with him but he was not engaging unless he had 1-1. Because of his language disorder he doesn't comprehend the tasks set even when physically shown he only just gets the basic concepts. Every time i go near school i am told he is really doing well and very settled i feel like i am making it all up and looking for problems. But what else can i do? If i don't go on and on saying something is wrong i feel that i am letting him down and not protecting him but if i do i feel like i live in a different world to the school and that i just make it all up i almost feel foolish. If they are saying everything is ok at school should i just leave it at that and cope at home and stop going on?

So sorry for the length of this but i am totally lost...! :crying:

Hi Loupin. Is your son on any of the SEN stages of help, either School Action, or School Action Plus at the moment?

K x

He is at school action plus and has been for 2yrs now

Just my opinion, I would trust your gut instincts as a parent. You appear to have have clear evidence that your son's unhappy and isn't coping, even with this level of support. What do his IEP's show? If the same targets are repeated this suggests that he isn't progressing and more intensive help is needed. Why wait another 6 months? As he progresses up the school there will be more pressure, things won't get any easier of their own accord. You can start the statementing process yourself now by writing to your LEA and requesting a Statutory Assessment. If you involve the school in your decision, and they support your request, so much the better.

You may need to gather more professional evidence to support your observations that your son is struggling, but I think you've nothing to lose by taking action now.

K x

Thanks Kathryn. He is meeting some of his IEP targets and he is definately learning somethings. they are very basic targets which they hoped wouldn't put too much pressure on him, but i think just getting to school and saying hello is pressure enough for him!! I have a very strong motherly desire to wrap him in a duvet and never let go of him!!!(but will resist!!!.....for now!)

I have a very strong motherly desire to wrap him in a duvet and never let go of him!!!(but will resist!!!.....for now!)

Sounds just like I'm feeling after my daughter's first day back at school!!

The school say everything is fine with my dd but she erupts at home just like your son. It's taken a long time to get the message across to school that this can be very common behaviour for an AS child who's not coping. I photocopied passages from books and sent them into school, wrote everyday in her home/school book about her tantrums, tears and anxiety and tried to get every professional I could on board. It's finally sinking in after 2 and a half years!!!

I also applied for statutory assessment myself, school were adamant that she wouldn't get a statement. We were turned down on the first attempt but sucessful the second time. Her statement was finalised in October so it can be done. It's still early days and the support isn't having the effect at the moment that we'd hoped, (hence the wanting to wrap her in a duvet) but things are slowly getting a bit better.

The ACE handbook is a really good source of information about the statementing process and how to make a parental request for assessment. I'd definitely recommend it if you're thinking of applying for a statement.

Lisa

Hi Loupin we also had a very long drawn out 'battle' for a statement but finally used the IPSEA template to request a stat assessment and got M's statement through for 12.5 hrs a week.M has poor language/processing difficulties etc and his motor problems give him no end of trouble with writing.We found chunky pencils helped him rather than the rubber thingies which help their grip as by the time he got his fingers 'right' on the grip he forgot what he was doing bless!!

I,too get the 'well he's been fine at school all day' routine as he launches himself screaming at me off the top of a waist height wall at the end of the day and proceeds to kick me all round the playground!M tends to be very introverted now at school which they see as a good thing so when he comes home he lets rip at us..Year 2 is a very stressful time and the senco should really be helping to push for a statement now I wish you luck with your quest :D

yOU DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT TO APPLY FOR A STATEMENT! iN FACT BY APPLYING THE LEA HAS TO ADHERE TO TIMESCALES , WHICH PUT THEM UNDER PRESSURE.

yOU WILL NEED SCHOOLS SUPPORT AND TRY AND KEEP THEM ON YOUR SIDE BUT A THE END OF THE DAY GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS!!!!!!!!

YOU SEE THE WHOLE CHILD NOT JUST THE BIT SCHOOL SEES FOR 6 HOURS A DAY.