Sign in to follow this  
curra

Update on new school

Hi everyone,

My DS started at his new school (with ASD unit) and it's very good so far! :D He was feeling very nervous last week and he kept saying (feeling rather low) that he knew that things would be just the same, he would be bullied and he would feel miserable etc. as if he couldn't believe that something can ever go well for him. We visited the school and the unit the day before start so that helped him a lot to calm his nerves and to go to school with fresh hopes. But as soon as we arrived and he saw the children arriving he panicked and said " it won't work, they will either stab me or shoot me, I think it's going to be worse than the other school..." We sat in the car until the entrance was clear of students, then we went in. It was immediately arranged that he can use another entrance with no crowds. Apart from these fears, the rest has been brilliant. M already looks more relaxed and cofident. Yesterday as soon as he was at home he said he had homework and sat down to do it :o (I thought I was dreaming) and he went to bed early without my usual nagging ( now THAT IS an achievement!!). :D:D

I hope that things will continue to go uphill for him from now on. I can't give enough thanks to all of you who have encouraged and helped me with support and advice over the last 2 years (the worst of my life) until M got a statement and could move to a new school. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Now, here's a question about school transport. M will travel by taxi (normal saloon for 4 passengers + driver) starting next week, that's great, but here's my worry, he'll travel in the car with 3 other kids. They are all (including my son) big kids, adult size, so that means that 3 will have to squeeze at the back. Travelling time: 40 min. M can't stand being touched, let alone squeezing next to someone. He gets paranoid and I fear that he might even have bad reactions, anything between beign snappy to hitting. :fight:

Is there anything that I can do?

Curra XX00

I'd raise my concerns with the transport dept at the LEA that organised the transport.

We had a prob yesty with the mini bus not turning up for The Boy (his first day at school) and they were extremely helpful & offered to deal with the taxi firm on my behalf.

I'd ring them up, explain your concerns and ask if it's possible for the taxi firm to use a different vehicle e.g. one of those larger cars they have, or most firms have mini buses now for at least 5 or 7 seaters for airport runs.

TBH I'd question the safety of this anyway - presumably the "child" (or big lad) in the middle of the back seat will only have a lap belt & I'm not so sure about how safe they are really.

Ring the transport dept up tho - you should have a letter from them detailing the transport arrangements, along with a named person - I bet they will help, cos it's a genuine reason for requesting a change IMO.

Great news about the school..

As to the taxi.. is there a way that you can speak to the taxi people and explain that maybe it would be for the best all round if your child could be in the front... no kids next to him etc... eitherway a chat with them, pos backed up with a dr note explaining his difficulties being next to other kids may help..

Is the taxi going to be a car ? as I know some small minibuses also are termed taxi...

Having said that after a while of travelling with the same children every day might calm him as it will be a routine and so he might become more accepting of the taxi ride...

Good luck.. I am now fighting for a taxi for my little urchin for next September as he will then be going to the school of our choice... yay..

Hi Curra,

I have frequent battles about college transport myself. I find most problems can be sorted out more quickly by speaking to the transport company directly rather than the person at the LEA dealing with the paperwork.

Try the taxi firm first - if you can speak directly to the driver who'll be taking him, and explain the situation, great. You might find that's all you need to do ,and that they will be very undertanding and reserve the front seat for your son.

If it's still going to be a a problem, push for a different form of transport. The LEA has a duty to arrange non stressful transport that is suitable to your son's needs. If he was a wheelchair user, there would be no question about making the adaptations needed.

Transport problems aside, great news that he's settling in so well! :thumbs:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Hi ,

Glad he's setttling in well, that's fabulous news :dance: .

I agree with the others, give the transport people a call (the school will have the number). When Kai first went to school by taxi, it was arranged he could go in a taxi on his own due to his anxieties. Since then he's had problems with older boys picking on him in the taxi and I had no problems getting him changed to another taxi.

All the best,

Loulou xx

Thanks for your replies :D>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Problem solved. I spoke to the taxi driver but I felt I was not going to get much from him as he suggested the lads could take turns to sit at the front and I know that idea would never work with my son, probably also with the other boys, after all they also have ASD and like structure. I rang the LA and spoke to a very kind lady who said she was going to see what she could do. Half an hour later she rang me up to let me know that she had arranged with the taxi firm that my son ALWAYS sits at the front! Yoooowhoooo !! :D:D:D

I have a feeling this is going to be a good year for us. :bounce::clap:

I wish all of you the best of luck !! Don't we all need it !! >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Curra

Wow, Curra, that's brilliant news, you're certainly having a fantastic start to your New Year, long may it continue! :dance: So glad that the new school is going so well too, sounds like it's all coming together really well for you. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~