Sign in to follow this  
citrine

just got back from appointment..

my son had his appointment today with lancashire camhs..

we saw a pyschologist and a pyschaitrist, the appointment i felt went well, they asked lots of questions spoke to my son, asked what we wanted etc..

they said that they needed to discuss the meeting but they felt that mentally my son was ok, (i was originally worried about ocd) but they felt that he was mildly on the spectrum, but they could do nothing further and they wanted to send a questionaire to school, and set up an appointment with a peadatrician for his development checks and to get a diagnosis..

we asked if they thought we were being neurotic, they calmed our fears, and said that they felt that son did display some odd behavior and we had done the right thing..one of them mentioned aspergers..

so will have to wait and see what comes from this :D

Well done for getting through the first step! My ds was dx ADHD Aug 05 and AS May 06 and this board has been an amazing source of information from people a bit further down the line than me!!

Carrie

they felt that he was mildly on the spectrum

Well I am glad they listened to you and helped to put your mind at rest, but I always question professionals who say things like "mildy on the spectrum". That's a bit like saying you've "sort of" lost your leg IMO.

Just keep an eye on them that they do a proper dx and give the right support that you need - don't let them build up to "well, he's only MILDLY on the spectrum, so he doesn't need a label / support at school" etc etc.

I don't get how they can position people on the spectrum anyway, everyone's different and displays different ASD traits to varying extents. When C was dx AS, I asked how far along the spectrum he was, and the reply was "how long is a piece of string?" I get where the dx team where coming from now - in terms of social skills and fine-motor skills C is probably mid-to-high on the spectrum, but in terms of language and gross-motor skills he's pretty low on the spectrum. So it's impossible to say where on the spectrum he is and I think that's true of most kids, certainly the ones with AS.