Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Statementing

Is this something we can start in Scotland for moving down, or do we have to be down there to start it??

Thanks

Lynne x

That depends on school - any time up to 18 months. My hubby will be down there anyways again working, and he'll just come home to Scotland at weekends until we get all sorted.

Lynne x

Hi Lynne,

I take it by 'down there' you mean England. I think you will be able to apply for a statutory assessment once you are a resident of your local authority in England. You have to apply to the local authority you pay your rates to and that doesn't apply until your son and his main carer lives there.

If you give ISEA a ring they should be able to advise. http://www.ipsea.org.uk/

Nellie xx

Hi Nellie - I do yes! I just assumed that people would know I was talking about England LOL Can he go to a school before he gets his statement - or would I have to keep him home till the process was complete? Just trying to work out the best timings.

My hubby will be down there long before us, so can we start the statementing process using his rental address (he's going to rent where we plan to live anyways) or do Logan and I physically need to be there also?

Also, will his diagnosis and reports from up here all still stand? I'm assuming at least the diagnosis will but he'll need to see an ed psych down there?

Its all so different to how it works up here.

Lynne x

Yes, you can send you son to school without a statement. It might be worthwhile asking your husband to contact the LEA for advice and ask if there's any support agencies in the area who can help you, maybe a local autistic society or a parent group. You can make a formal request for a statutory assessment once you're living there (details below) your son doesn't have to be in a school to do this, as long as you are paying rates to that local council and your son is residing there. It's also worth contacting Parent Partnership although I must warn you, they are meant to be impartial but sometimes sit on the side of the LEA.

You will find information on SEN procedures here and in the education section of the forum.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1068&a=3229

Information on applying for a statutory assessment.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/sevenfixes.htm

Parent Partnership Services provide advice and information to parents whose children have special educational needs. They provide neutral and factual support on all aspects of the SEN framework to help parents play an active and informed role in their child's education. Although funded by the local education authority they provide a service to parents and are often either run at arms length from the authority or by a voluntary organisation to ensure parents have confidence in them.

Contact number can be obtained from your school or LEA.

http://www.parentpartnership.org.uk/

Good luck with the move, hope it's successful.

Nellie xx

Sorry forgot to mention. His diagnosis and reports from Scotland can be used as evidence in England. The Statutory Assessment will be a mult-agency assessment including the Ed. Pych.

Edited by nellie