Sign in to follow this  
Anneuk

Dyspraxia / Dyslexia

Hi all, as some of you knwo I have a 12 yr old dx Aspergers and have been observing my 9 yr old as she has had some different problems.

I now suspect from doing lots of reading that my 9yr old may have dyspraxia and or dyslexia.

Her paed said she does have some neuro defficiencies and she has lots of mobility problems as she is very tight from the hips down which has totally thrown her posture. She has to attend physio for regular plasters on her legs to stretch the tendons etc. She has now been discharged from the paed.

Her attention span is very short about 5 minutes at a push and she is very clumsy and forgetful. her teacher said well she does have some concerns but to be honest, their are a few children in the class worse than her so she doesn't seem so bad (what???)

Anyway, the reason I am droning on and on here, is that I fought for so long to get my daughter diagnosed with Aspergers and am still fighting the education system, and I just feel so daunted by taking on another fight.

I am wondering if any of you have children here with dyspraxia or dyslexia and if so who helped with diagnosis. Also does anyone knoe of a Private Psychologist in the South East Wales area who is expert at these conditions.

I also have a chronic health problem and know that if I am going to get the help she requires, i am going to have to jump in where I am likely to get help and not run about the houses too much like I did with my other daughter.

I am hoping that someone can help me, Please??

Anne

hi, my ASD son is also dx with dyslexia and dyspraxia.His dyslexia was dx when he was 7 by a ed physch at the dyslexia institute, we had to pay for this,it was a few hundred pounds :wacko: .His teacher then mentioned his co ordination and motor skills.We saw our gp and he referred us to the pead who then passed us onto the OT, she dx,d the dyspraxia :rolleyes: .I would get intouch with your local dyslexia institute and seek their advice.Best of l;uck.

My son has Dyspraxia as well as AS.

He was diagnosed by a Paediatric Neurologist. In fact, he had this dx before his dx for AS.

Bid

hi anne

my 16yr old has aspergers and my 10 yr old has dyspraxia

i had to fight for my older sons diagnosis but it was alot easier with my younger one i supose it was just more obvious because of the physical thigns i.e clumsiness ect he was diagnosed by a pead

i also find i dont have to fight for what he needs as much as the school ect can see the problems he has and excepted his diagnosis with no problems (although it might just be because its a different school than my older son attended)

dont know what actual help i can give you though sorry

trace xx