Sign in to follow this  
pingu

Your Views needed pretty please.

Hi everyone.

Can i just ask you all something. my daughter spoke tonight of the way she thinks (she is 9 and as has been diagnosed with anxiety *only* :wallbash: )

Anyway tonight she explained that when she thinks the thoughts are in pictures. She described some very vivedly talking about the colours of the pictures and the different colour of the letters. I told her that my thoughts come as a tiny (subconcious) voice, and she got really frustrated with me and said that she doesnt have the same, and she has always seen pictures. this (apparently) is why she cant bear her routine broken because the picture of what should be happening wont go away. it gets stuck and if she doesnt do something that is on her "picture" it makes her feel uncomfortable. She also said that if she doesnt do her (for like of a better word) "ritual" on a night the picture starts flashing and it makes her feel dizzy.

Im writing this in a rush because kieran is kicking off upstairs, but i really wanted to get your view on this. do you think she is just been a kid? or should i mention it tto the psychologist when i see her? ive never heard of people seeing pictures before, but this may explain why she has such a unique way of doing things.

Please let me know your thoughts, even if im over exgagerating this situation.

Better go WW3 kicking off.

take care

shaz x :whistle:

Hi Pingu

I was watching a program over here about Behavioural Optometrists and he was talking about this, and highly recommend parents get their child assessed as they are able to help them.

Just put a post in before this one. Have a look, interested in your comments.

F :)

Thinking in pictures is quite normal for someone with autism. Temple Grandin, who is autistic, actually wrote a book called 'Thinking in Pictures' Here is a link for you to check out

http://www.grandin.com/inc/visual.thinking.html

I really don't want to upset you of this is something that has not crossed your mind but I would read up and then maybe see if this matches with what your daughter is telling you.

Cat

Just put a post in before this one. Have a look, interested in your comments

Thanks Hun. i will go and have a look in a sec.

Thinking in pictures is quite normal for someone with autism. Temple Grandin, who is autistic, actually wrote a book called 'Thinking in Pictures' Here is a link for you to check out

Thanks cat. I have just come across this very article via wikipedia and am in the process of printing it out (17 pages) lol. To be honest i didnt know this existed so am a bit shocked at all the similarities. i will post back soon once i have read it all.

shaz

Read it but don't jump to conclusions. If you have concerns after you read this then find a way to address them. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Cat

Hi pingu -

Cat's on the ball about Temple Grandin, but I think she identifies two other distinct types of thought processing as well - one very similar to your own 'internal vocabulary' and another which is more like written 'word processing'.

The former tend to have very good spatial recall, and are good at 'mapping' etc, and the latter type tends to communicate far more effectively by written word than through the usual channels (Not hyperlexia - but leaning more that way than 'picture thinking' or 'internal dialogue'.

I can't be specific, but I'm sure there's lots of research now implying that these 'types' apply to NT's too (some of that leading to this 'male brain theory'), though (as with everything!) it tends to be more pronounced in people on the spectrum.

I've asked quite a few people about this myself, as Ben is quite a visual thinker, and there seems to be a fair number of both the former and the latter 'types' both NT and ASD/AS... I wonder about the middle group whether in AS/ASD these are the types who display the heaviest features of echolalia/repetitive speech(?) Pure speculation on the last, though! :lol::lol::lol:

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD :D

The Raven's Progressive Matrices intelligence test is a test where Autistics consistently perform better than average compared with Neurotypicals of the same age group, it uses visual, non-verbal puzzles to measure non-verbal reasoning.

Picture thinking also seems to relate to certain Savant skills such as fast calculating. British Autistic Savant Daniel Tament(might have got his name wrong) describes numbers manifesting in his head as landscape features that he is able to arrange and translate into correct mathematical solutions.

I used to do fast calculating when I was very young but I'm not sure if it would have qualified as Savant-level. The images kind of resembled the Channel 4 captions where the camera is moving with odd misplaced scenary and it aligns for a moment in the shape of a 4. I sort of had four-dimensional models of calculating equations.

Hi, my son describes how he feels according to colours, ie if its a good day and he feels happy he says its a blue/ light blue day!?

Or if irritaed describes "prickly " feeling (he s 11)Wasnt sure whther this was worth mentioning- we ve had almost all assessments now and say doesnt show enough traits for dx of asp, or autism, does sttruggle socially, recognising emotions,sensory stuff,etc,etc

Waiting to see paed for summary of findings

They see world thro kaleodoscope I think!

Lisa