Alexandra

Fascination with fire

new here, our son (8) has been diagnosed with HFA alongside ADHD,

we've noticed that he has got very excited with fire and gets very annimated

especially when there are flames.

We are quite worried about this, we've told him about the safety

side, but we're worried that his need for the sensory stimulation

will over ride the safety. We have been given a social story

and have also been given a bubble lamp that changes colour.

Any advice or help would be great thanks xx

Hi alexandra -

Nothing in the way of advice, I'm afraid, but just to say the things you are doing all seem very sound and sensible :thumbs:

Fascinating stuff, that fire - ever changing, all those colours and flickers and shadows... easy to see the attraction :( .

The lava lamp sounds like a good alternative/distraction, and maybe fibre optic lights or light chains too? Lots of people on the forum have found these kinds of eye-stimulation very therapeutic/engaging for their kids. The social story about the dangers of fire is a brilliant idea, but one I'd handle with caution, as if it's seen as a 'taboo' that can have its own sort of attraction too(?)

Hopefully there will be someone here with some first hand experience and possible strategies...

L&P

BD :D

Hi,

My son is 8 (AS/ADHD) and he is also fascinated with fire. Has your son actually been up close to a fire (like a bonfire) or is it just what he's seen on TV?

The reason i ask, is because my son always used to say "cool" when he saw a fire, ie on the news. I kept trying to explain to him how dangerous it was, but i don't think he realised. Last year my neighbour had a bonfire on 5th Nov and my son went round to it. The other boys were all 10 and kept poking sticks into the fire and setting light to leaves etc (when my neighbour wasn't watching). This made his fascination even worse and he kept on and on about fires. I kept trying to explain the dangers, but he still thought it was "cool". I was really worried that he'd set fire to something.

I decided to take rather drastic action in the end. I'm NOT suggesting you do this with your son, as all children are different. I set up a very tiny bonfire in the garden and set fire to some paper and twigs. What i wanted to do is to show him how quickly fire could spread, and how hot the flames became. It was like a social story, but visual (he responds well to visual things). We talked about it and how dangerous it would be if the fire spread and it seemed to sink in. Although he liked the fire, i think it frightened him a bit. I told him it was a "rule" that he must never ever touch matches/lighters etc and i THINK he got the message.

Loulou xx

Edited by loulou

Hi we have had the facination with fire and its very common with boys but also with ADHD boys, its as already described here that its very interesting.

J went throw a phase, still does if he can get hold of lighters, matches, burn different kinds of material to see if it burns, he likes the reaction as well, instant engulfing of flames ect,,,

J did do a course with firebrigade aimed at children with special needs and they introduced different materials for him to understand the consequences of fire including a cd rom.

they did show us a series of videos as well, the result of what fire can do to a building.

That went well and was over 6 months, I was educated as well not to have candles around, lighters and matches ect,,,which I was doing but we did have them little tee tree candle, so we got rid of those.

J has on accations found disgaurded lighters and later lit paper, card and wood, one day he lit toilet paper in his schools toilets!!!!

J does need full supervision because his fasination is high, he use to play with the gas hobs and light paper!

We still have to be caucious and we need to keep all fire protential products well out the way, the other month the fire brigade came to the school and did a display, then the next day was intreged again so you do have to be very aware that the fire brigade can retrigger the fasination again.

contact your fire brigade and ask if there is a programme called FACE if they do ask more details as it may be a good programme for your son.

J is a lot better but that also has to be because we are better and aware of his fasination to fire.

JsMum

Hi,

My son is 8 (AS/ADHD) and he is also fascinated with fire. Has your son actually been up close to a fire (like a bonfire) or is it just what he's seen on TV?

The reason i ask, is because my son always used to say "cool" when he saw a fire, ie on the news. I kept trying to explain to him how dangerous it was, but i don't think he realised. Last year my neighbour had a bonfire on 5th Nov and my son went round to it. The other boys were all 10 and kept poking sticks into the fire and setting light to leaves etc (when my neighbour wasn't watching). This made his fascination even worse and he kept on and on about fires. I kept trying to explain the dangers, but he still thought it was "cool". I was really worried that he'd set fire to something.

I decided to take rather drastic action in the end. I'm NOT suggesting you do this with your son, as all children are different. I set up a very tiny bonfire in the garden and set fire to some paper and twigs. What i wanted to do is to show him how quickly fire could spread, and how hot the flames became. It was like a social story, but visual (he responds well to visual things). We talked about it and how dangerous it would be if the fire spread and it seemed to sink in. Although he liked the fire, i think it frightened him a bit. I told him it was a "rule" that he must never ever touch matches/lighters etc and i THINK he got the message.

Loulou xx

we have an open fire in our middle room, which we light when it gets cold,

he's always ben fascinated with fire but its the fact that he was quite annimated

by it, i've moved all lighters and matches out of sight, we've got him a bubble light

that changes colour, we filled it and turned it on today and he said the red light was like fire ,

hopefully this will do the trick.