Sign in to follow this  
baddad

'Freefrom' ranges...

Hi all - just in case any of you with kids on gf/df diets had missed them, bot Tesco and sainsbury have made some additions to their FF ranges...

Several new biscuit varieties that previously contained dairy under their original branding have now been given the FF badge and had the dairy taken out to boot! :thumbs: Ditto some cakes/ cake bars, and noticed also that the new varieties have also not got that horrible 'hydrogenated fats' in the ingredient list!

Bens faves so far are Muffins, which have been own branded by both. He reports they are 'as nice but different' to the antionette saville bread rolls that have until now been his fave alternative to DS multigrain bread...

He went to a friendsbday party on saturday at Mc wossname, and took his own 'Spam McMuffin'... other kids were asking for a bite! :lol::lol::lol:

Also, around by the tinned toms they are now doing cartons of sieved tomato (Passata(?) ) which make a brill base for no fuss veggie soups - especially the one with herbs/garlic already in...

L, P and muffins

BD :D

Thanks

I have tried the new tesco cakes - the lemon ones are really nice with a bit of jam in the middle! ds won't touch them so I had to finish the box off - what a pity!

:D Elun

Hi,

I just thought I'd mention an update - not sure if anyone has already mentioned this elsewhere. I've just been checking out the "free-from" range, before starting J on a complete gluten and casein free diet. Sainsbury now seem to have a much bigger range especially in their freezer section ( Tesco haven't anything in the freezer). The other day I bought Sainsbury "free from" chicken nuggets, beefburgers, fishfingers and chiplolatas. So far I've tried the chicken nuggets and chipolatas and J ate them no problems. I also tried their "free from" soya choc bar and "free from" Rice crackle soya choc bar and they went down well as well.

From Tesco I managed to get some "cheezly" Dairy free and Lactose free mature white cheddar style "cheese". However this has a horrible texture and smell - though doesn't taste too bad. I don't like it, so I doubt J will like it (he is hypersensitive to texture and smell more than taste!). It was difficult to grate and I haven't tried it on pizza yet. Just about to try it now! Does anyone know of any good dairy free cheese or dairy and gluten free pizzas?

I noticed in a previous posting that baddad mentioned that Tesco did "freefrom" chicken nuggets and fishfingers (was about 3 years ago though!) However my branch of Tesco doesn't stock any frozen "free from" range - has tesco withdrawn these products generally?

Edited by MichelleW

Hi,

I just thought I'd mention an update - not sure if anyone has already mentioned this elsewhere. I've just been checking out the "free-from" range, before starting J on a complete gluten and casein free diet. Sainsbury now seem to have a much bigger range especially in their freezer section ( Tesco haven't anything in the freezer). The other day I bought Sainsbury "free from" chicken nuggets, beefburgers, fishfingers and chiplolatas. So far I've tried the chicken nuggets and chipolatas and J ate them no problems. I also tried their "free from" soya choc bar and "free from" Rice crackle soya choc bar and they went down well as well.

From Tesco I managed to get some "cheezly" Dairy free and Lactose free mature white cheddar style "cheese". However this has a horrible texture and smell - though doesn't taste too bad. I don't like it, so I doubt J will like it (he is hypersensitive to texture and smell more than taste!). It was difficult to grate and I haven't tried it on pizza yet. Just about to try it now! Does anyone know of any good dairy free cheese or dairy and gluten free pizzas?

I noticed in a previous posting that baddad mentioned that Tesco did "freefrom" chicken nuggets and fishfingers (was about 3 years ago though!) However my branch of Tesco doesn't stock any frozen "free from" range - has tesco withdrawn these products generally?

No, it's just your local branch, I guess... not all branches do all products - I have to drive a ways to get to a tesco's that stocks the stuff and used to have to drive even further to a sainsbury's that did! Now my local sainsbury's carries a wider range too... :rolleyes::rolleyes: Try to find the nearest tesco's that does stock FF, as we tend to mix and match from both...

Locally, sainsbury keep all their freefrom frozen in the same place, but tesco's lay them out by product, so you have to look for nuggets where ordinary nuggets go and fingers where the ordinary ones are etc... sausages at tesco are in the chilled cabinet with the other sausages, but are deep frozen in sainsburys... sainsburys 'finest' range sausages have a couple of FF varieties (sicilian and British pork and herb, I think) but they're tres expensive! Tescos 100% beef burgers are FF (but the red packet ones not the posh ones for some reason? Go figure!)

Pizza bases are available from both - My son has cheezly + a sprinkle of Parmazano (ff parmesan available on the FF shelf) on them, but the cheddar style cheezly doesn't melt!

If you're son is a BIG cheese lover Redwoods (cheezly) do loads of other styles too, including a range (mozerella etc) that does melt and generally taste nicer too. The downside is none of the supermarkets stock them, so you have to order direct, and buy loads to get the free delivery on them :rolleyes:

- I've just been to look at your profile to see if you're anywhere near me in T. Wells and see you're in Kent. If you're close enough, I'd be only to pleased to go halves with you on a major cheezly purchase, 'cos ben's getting tired of the cheddar one too! Drop me a PM if you're interested!

Hope that helps

L&P

I do actually have a bigger tesco Extra just one road away from me - but the traffic on that road is horrendous, it is difficult to get a parking space and the shop has a trolly escalator just as you go in - and my youngest has developed an obsession with the escalator! Unfortunately I can't go shopping without the kids anymore - unless I get a baby-sitter!

But I did brave it - just to get a couple of blocks of "cheezly"! But I didn't see any other cheese products - and I didn't have the energy to look round all the isles for the "freefrom" products that may have been scattered around. They used to have a seperate section, but it has disappeared.

I made up a 1:1 mixture of "cheezly":normal cheese to top a pizza today and that was OK, but I haven't tried "cheezly" on its own. The only time J has cheese is when it is sprinkled on pasta, on pizza and in sandwiches occasionally. He doesn't really have a lot so unless it can be frozen, I doubt it would be worth me buying in bulk. Looking at the packet, it has about a 3 months shelf life in the fridge. I'll look into it and PM you.

I do actually have a bigger tesco Extra just one road away from me - but the traffic on that road is horrendous, it is difficult to get a parking space and the shop has a trolly escalator just as you go in - and my youngest has developed an obsession with the escalator! Unfortunately I can't go shopping without the kids anymore - unless I get a baby-sitter!

But I did brave it - just to get a couple of blocks of "cheezly"! But I didn't see any other cheese products - and I didn't have the energy to look round all the isles for the "freefrom" products that may have been scattered around. They used to have a seperate section, but it has disappeared.

I made up a 1:1 mixture of "cheezly":normal cheese to top a pizza today and that was OK, but I haven't tried "cheezly" on its own. The only time J has cheese is when it is sprinkled on pasta, on pizza and in sandwiches occasionally. He doesn't really have a lot so unless it can be frozen, I doubt it would be worth me buying in bulk. Looking at the packet, it has about a 3 months shelf life in the fridge. I'll look into it and PM you.

Hi again michelle -

No worries :) ...

It's only the frozen bits that are in different sections, BTW - all the 'drygoods' in the FF range should be in one place. Some branches of Holland & Barrett carry alternatives to cheezly - you could try there... Parmazano would work well with Pasta, but i think for sarnies/toast you might come unstuck. If he's not a massive cheese fan, probably best to just cut it out altogether if you can?

Hope that helps

L&P

sainsburys are doing muffins in the free from range for 25p for 2 at the moment baddad,thought ben might be interested :thumbs: