nannynick

Born On A Blue Day - BBC Radio 4, Book of the Week

Hi all, could not find this being mentioned via the search facility (so sorry if it already has).

BBC Radio 4 this week 19-23 Feb 2007 are reading from Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tannet.

"Daniel Tammet sees numbers as shapes colour and textures and can perform extraordinary maths in his head. He can also learn to speak a language fluently from scratch in a week.

He has Savant Syndrome, a rare form of Asperger?s."

The audio is available on-line for next 6-7 days on a rolling basis - so must listen to Mondays episode by end of Sunday - hope that makes sense.

Link to BBC Radio 4 Book of the week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/book_week.shtml

I saw Daniel Tannet on a documentary called "The Man With The Extraordinary Brain". If I remember right I'm sure the T.V. producers gave him a couple of challenges and one of them was to learn Icelandic in a week or so.

I didn't know he had a book out, I think I'll be visiting the library very soon.

Cheers

Tilly

His book is a really good book about Aspergers and autism quite aside from the savant thing! He is a very clever and articulate man and gives a good account of how it felt to grow up autistic.

I've read it too, fascinating how he visualises numbers. Well worth a read, guessing it is out in paperback if he is back in the news again with it. So might be a bit cheaper.

Liz