Sign in to follow this  
Karen A

Alphasmart and SATS

Hi Ben has some handwriting difficulties due to DCD.The provision for the use of an Alphasmart was included in his statement.Although his handwriting has improved we were expecting that his handwriting speed would not be sufficient to enable him to demonstrate his ability.Hence we expected that Ben would use Alphasmart regularly as he will need it in secondary school.

Today I found out that Ben is hardly using Alphasmart as his HT says he would not be allowed to use it for SATS.I wonder if any others here have used Alphasmart for tests or if anyone can point me to where I would find the documentation on using Alphasmart for Sats.Thanks Karen.

Hi Ben has some handwriting difficulties due to DCD.The provision for the use of an Alphasmart was included in his statement.Although his handwriting has improved we were expecting that his handwriting speed would not be sufficient to enable him to demonstrate his ability.Hence we expected that Ben would use Alphasmart regularly as he will need it in secondary school.

Today I found out that Ben is hardly using Alphasmart as his HT says he would not be allowed to use it for SATS.I wonder if any others here have used Alphasmart for tests or if anyone can point me to where I would find the documentation on using Alphasmart for Sats.Thanks Karen.

Hi Karen A,

I work in secondary school as ASD LSA. I can't answer your question about the use of an Alphasmart as we don't have a pupil that uses one. What I can say is that with Bens DCD difficulties being included into his statement he will be eligible for a scriber. A scriber is an adult who puts Bens words down on paper for him during SATs and exams.

Julieann

Edited by julieann

I used mine in GCSES if thats any help?

With GCSES I could use it aslong as it was connected to power and was able to be printed off straight after! and it had to be cleared and spellcheak disabled!

I dont know where to get help other then SENCO

Any questions ask

my son is in yr 5 and also has the alphasmart written into his statement.

i have asked the question ready for yr 6 sats and been told that the school will apply to whoever it needs to ask so that he is able to use it.

they couldn't see a problem

i would go back to the HT and if you have no joy maybe the NAS or IPSEA would be able to advise

Hi Karen A my ds is now in yr 8 but used an alpha smart from yr 4 in primary. However he actually used a PC for his yr 6 SATS. The reason for this being, that as you probably know, the alpha smart shows a limited amount of the typed text on the screen and he found this quite time consuming scrolling up and down checking what he had typed. All I remember is that the senco had to apply by a certain time for 'permission' for him to use a PC, and it had to be shown that this was his usual and regular way of completing work. HTH

Here are the official rules for this year ... available at http://www.qca.org.uk/eara/documents/KS2_ARA.pdf

Look for section 12

Extra time may also be applicable but the school has to apply for permission for this by March 1st so need to get a move on if they haven't done it

Using word processors

Pupils who normally use word processors may use them for the mathematics and science tests. However, for the English tests, word processors may only be used by:

pupils with special educational needs who would not be able to access the tests otherwise

pupils with considerable writing difficulties who normally use a word processor or similar aid for writing across the curriculum.

Pupils who are eligible to use a word processor for the writing test (longer task) will be awarded a mean mark of 2 (out of 3) for handwriting. If pupils are physically able to write and do not use a word processor as part of normal classroom practice, they will be awarded zero marks for handwriting.

A pupil who uses a word processor for its editorial functions must not use it in the tests. For all tests, word processor tools that help with punctuation and grammar must be switched off. Spellcheckers must not be used in the spelling test.

Whenever a pupil uses a word processor, the school must complete the form 'Use of a word processor or technical or electrical aid' available in the 'Test forms' section of the NAA websiteat www.naa.org.uk/tests and attach it to the pupil's test scripts.

Edited to get shot of the ?'s put in when people use Microsoft to produce webpages :angry::angry::angry:

Edited by UltraMum

Hi Thank you all for your well informed answers. :notworthy::notworthy: It is such a big help having people around who can provide accurate and up to date information.Regards Karen.