worried mum

can anyone help me with dla claim pack

Hi I am new to this site (as a registered user), although I have visited on previous occasions. I have recently been told that my son is on the autistic spectrum, possibly aspergers/adhd. The diagnosis is not definate yet as the psychiatrist has to "put all the data into a computer!" although he has confirmed he is on the scale somewhere, we just need confirmation of where.

Anyway I have been told to apply for DLA but the claim form looks horrendous and I am sure there was a link on here of a guide of how to "write" things etc, but I have looked and can not find it.

Please could anyone give me any advise on how to fill it in, i've been told to put the worst case scenarios but when it asks for times of the day/minutes etc I don't know what to put as he is so unpredictable and it can all vary.

I am still unsure whether I should put it in now or wait until the firm diagnosis, will DLA want it confirmed in writing?

There have been really useful tips on this site and I must admit some of the things my son did, I just put down to his quirky nature, but after reading a lot of posts realise it's down to the aspergers etc (like the toe/finger nails cutting, we have temper tantrums and it's a nightmare, anyone'd think we were really hurting him.)

Hi welcome to the forum.I am not sure where the advice re DLA form is here.I am sure others will come along soon.However there is some helpful guidance tailored to ASD on the NAS website.I agree the form is a nightmare-I got the pack last Sep and have not got down to it yet. :huh::huh: Karen.

thank you, i've read that, it's just the one i'd read on here was in more detail. i think i'm going to write out the form in rough first, though i might try a few pages a day! I wish they'd make it easier. still i've got 5 weeks left to fill it in as they gave me 6 weeks from my requesting it, no wonder you get so long!!

Hi Worried Mum,

Have you tried your local Carers Centre. They have a benefits advisor there who will help to fill in any necessary forms for you.

Tilly

thank you Tilly & Cat for your replies, i've checked out the website & it's got loads of useful info & i've just skimmed over it for now, will print it off later, as i always prefer to read from a hard copy. I think the hardest bit is comapring to another child of the same age, i have an older child but with x it's always been accepted as "just his way". It's not only the extra time things take but also the preparation before hand, does anybody else find this. with my eldest i can say/do things at the drop of a hat whereas with x i need to plan ahead, give run downs etc.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the form. I set myself a target of four or five pages a day as well and just put down absolutely everything I could think of.

If you earn less than �82 a week you can apply for Carers' allowance too, at the same time.

K x

Hi

I joined the National Autistic Society and I recieved a pack with various information which also included Benefits information including carers allance and DLA and MOBILTY, its very easy to read and so I recommend them.

I filled Js DLA on pdf and it saved loads of time as I went on when I could and then saved it, and then went back at my own convienence.

so recommend this style of filling in the form as well.

Just reread your post about the diagnosis, you dont nessasarily need diagnosis as the disabilty goes on the childs difficulties, you could ask the doctor you saw for a covering letter that your son is suspected as having ASD/AS and in the process of assessment.

at the end of the day its the childs difficulties that need to be well documented, in the early days J didnt have a diagnosis but still recieved DLA, he since has recieved a diagnosis and going throw further developmental assessments so could get further diagnosis so if they where insistant on a diagnosis then they would probably have to wait until our children have finished developing.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

I have a son with AS who is 18 years old and he has been recieving DLA for some years now. My advice is to take the form very seriously, in as much that, just putting down his diagnosise will not automatically mean you will be awarded the benefit. It is also import I feel that you get your doctor/psychiatrist to fill their bit in. That will carry some weight. Don't be restricted by the little boxes they give you to say things, put it on a seperate sheet. Put down what its like when its really bad, not what its like when its been a good day. It's not lying, and remember you and your son are entitled to financial help. I always tick the box that asks if it is a mental health problem. I know that it isn't a mental illness, but there isn't an appropriate alternative box to tick. If you have joined your local NAS group, make sure you ask around to see who has been awarded the DLA and maybe one of them will sit with you to do the form (in pencil first). It takes me weeks to do because its difficult to do in one sitting. Don't worry about how long it takes, give yourself time. Also, I find I get quite upset when I do the form. Putting down in writing my sons difficulties is heartbreaking. Also, do photocopy it. This will not only help if they lose it, and the benefits agency is notorious for losing forms, it will help you when you have to fill it in again.

Good luck!

thanks for all your words of advice and encouragment, i have completed it in rough and i must admit i found it hard, i kept putting what he was like on a bad day but then felt i had to put what he was like on a good day (although i have taken all what you have said on board and will not be putting the good days on the claim pack, it just made me feel better). i think the hardest bit is putting all the "bad or negative" things down as i feel my son will be labelled and ok they at dla don't know him personally it's something that is on paper about him, i hope you can understand where i am coming from in all of this. take care

The DLA claim is the pits ... it makes you feel :huh: then :( then :wacko: then :tearful: and finally :crying::crying::crying:

There is nothing positive about it unfortunately :(

Good idea to make some private notes of the good things too :)

I recommend :cheers::drunk::eat::wine: when you've finished.

Hi WM -

Similar to Cerebra link as posted, BHAS offer downloadable guides on various benefit claimforms, including DLA child and adult, on mental and physical grounds:

http://www.bhas.org.uk/

Like Js Mum, I'd fully recommend using the downloadable PDF files - quicker, neater and easier, and you'll have the old version on you hard drive when renewal time comes around...

L&P

BD :D