Sign in to follow this  
charliesvoice

Special needs campaign!

>:D<<'> Hi not wanting to get on peoples nerves, but i just wanted to post our campaign where as many people as possible will see it.

Basically in our local area we have been really let down, both by our PCT and LEA- In September 2006 we lost all speech and language therapy for 5 year olds and upwards ( in mainstream schools! ) - my own son has autism and has no speech! SaLT prior to these cuts was seriously under funded - the last 2 visits my son had were June 2006 and November 2005. SaLT we have been told will be starting again in April but at the same buget it was previously, which simply isn't adequate! we have complained to our LEA as they now have the legal responsibility to provide SaLT (if it is outlined within part 3 of your childs statement )- they have refused to use independent therapists in the meantime! The secretary of state and DfES will not help as " the secretary of state can not reprimand an LEA over its past performances" so we now have to wait until April - which will mean hundreds of children without this vital support for 8 if not more months!

I have been contacted by many families all over the country who have been let down in similar ways, this petition isn't meant for just my local area, it is for the PM to realise that this is happening everywhere to children with all kinds of special needs! if you would like to support this campaign please go to:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/spectrum/

I would erge people ( if they agree ) to sign, Listening to peoples stories, i'm hearing all the time of the constant battles families are having just to get the right support, its about time the government started listening!!

Thank-you for taking the time to read! xx

Edited by charliesvoice

I think I may have already put my name to this, is it in the Leeds area ?
I live in Norfolk but it isn't meant as a local campaign it is a national campaign against Health authorities and Local Education Authorities continually failing our children with special needs whether that be with speech therapy, OT, 1:1 support in class, transport etc, etc.

Why is it a constant battle to get the right provisions!! - it's never about what the child needs its all about MONEY!

If you agree i would erge you sign and pass it on to as many people as possible - thanks for all your support!!