KarenT

Sensory cushion

I've just got J's sensory report back and it recommends getting one of those inflatable rubber cushions with knobbly bits on for him to use while sitting at the table. Any idea where I can get one?

Karen

x

I don't know where you get them I'm afraid. Whilst at the special school I came across a similar sort of thing though. One of the younger children (probably 4 or 5 and the most hyper active child I've ever met) had a cushion that vibrated when sat on. It did mean he would stay on his seat a bit longer. When you had a chair up close behind him though it vibrated all the way through to you too. Actually it was fairly relaxing. I enjoyed working with that class too. Decided that in some ways the youngest group (which was that one) was the hardest work. Certainly the group where I had to get up and down the most. Normally to grab one of them that had just ran off. He had a habit of doing stuff he shouldn't when he ran off too. Putting cars in the toilets and fishing them out for instance. One day he also found an old electrical socket that had no face plate on it (luckily that was disconnected) that none of the staff in the room knew was there and was pulling on what would have been the live wire. I almost had a fit when I saw what he was up to. Teacher sent me rather quickly hunting round the entire school for the caretaker too as neither of us dared leave it like that a second longer.

Hi, ive borrowed one from the ot toy library at my hospital, theyve given me a web site, Illhunt it out, butt he one I have isnt nobbly, just bouncy, it makes my son sit upright, Ive tried it n fell off!!

Lisa

Think ttheyre approx �13

Is this what your talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Disc-nsit-Tactile-Se...VQQcmdZViewItem

Only one I have seen so far. Can't find anything like I saw at the special school either. Not sure if these would be strong enough to be sat on:

http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/gifts-for-...age-pillow.html

Or if there is something similar that would work. Off to watch Newcastle match now. Will have another look to see if I can find anything a bit later on.

Thanks for that chaps.

I'd found the ebay one but didn't want to get it from the US - just past experience I'm afraid, but thanks David.

But the one from Norlite is fab, thanks for finding it for me Liz. Will order one today.

Karen

x

We were recommended a cushion for M, by his psysio

but we got something very similar from Ikea,

its a in their childrens dept, its made of a hardish foam

with knobbly bits, and it works great and was only �3,

his senco at school has recommended it to other parents after seeing M's.

hope you find what your looking for xxxx

Hi I got a cushion that sounds similar from the Avon Catalogue-also for about �3.It was sold as an exercise balance cusion but Ben likes it and it is an ecconomic option.Karen.

Bu**er, and I've just paid �18 quid (with postage) for the one online.

Ah well, nowt I can do about it now, water under the bridge and all that.

Thanks for helping, chaps.

Karen

x