Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

social service meeting update

Well I had my complaints meeting with my LA yesterday and to be honest its left me feeling very downhearted.

It seems from the meeting that SS dont actually have to do anything to fully meet my sons needs. I wrote a brief outline of all that had happened to date and gave each a copy together with copies of previous letters. It seems that everything is due to lack of funding (which makes me so angry) and had we considered residential care. I pointed out that was in direct opposition to what the the government is trying to so that conversation ended pretty quickly. I also mentioned the huge amount of children with autism who are currently in scholl and who will need specific services further down the line. I was told parents could get together and "buy in" services from out of County. I said this was a cop out for the Council and meant parents would have to take on all responsibilities.

I sat and listened to so much spin and buck passing it was a real lesson in avoiding the truth that actually no one cares as long as their cosy little job remains. The upshot was that they "may" be able to offer my son a further session at an inappropriate day care centre but couldnt promise anything.

I was even told that the fault lies with education. So many millions are put into children that when they leave school they lose all the funding they previously attracted which is why there are no services! Also people are living longer (how thoughtless of them!) and putting strains on the Social Service budget.

I now have the option of going further down the complaints procedure so what the heck Ive gone this far.

Hi , I do hope u take this all the way . This lack of funding cop out makes me so angry. I was offered a easter play scheme for my son as we are on hol i thanked them and declined . As soon as i hung up i rang my friend who i knew would benifit from a scheme . We live in the same area our children are both ASD same age and we have the same sw. When she enquired she was told there was no funding! Madness :wallbash::angry:

If you were not looking after your son they would have no choice but to meet all of his needs. This is a cop out :angry::angry:

I would take this as far as you have to. Is there a case to be made with the Ombudsmen?

Cat

Well you have to give them credit for extremely creative and inventive responses! :o:wacko:

I keep being told to get in touch with SS again now that L is coming up to 18, but I can't be bothered - they were completely ineffectual when we were in crisis - now we are seen to be coping OK we'll have no chance of anything from them.

You may as well complain, someone might even listen.

K x

My sons 21 and left school in 2004. I have had to give up work to provide care for him. Our local SS department is awash with managers etc. The new director of adult services decided she needed 3 assistants all attracting a �75000 salary each. Yet there is no money for services.

Im shocked that we are so invisible and unimportant, money comes first.

None of these so called gentlemen even had the courtesy to acknowledge my son. I think they were a little afraid of him, just demonstrated how little they know about autism.