Clare63

They do seem to care

My 11 year old DS started secondary mainstream school in Sept 06 he is desparately shy and anxious and was finally DX with Aspergers in Jan this year. School has always tried hard to help us but sometimes make me feel neurotic as they said he's fine whilst in school. We have had loads of problems getting him to school and up until this week he's done three full weeks on the trot :D which is amazing and a huge effort on his part.

He's been off sick all week with a nasty cough and cold and earlier in the week his TA phoned to see how he was and to check he was not "playing me up" he is not statemented but she meets him everyday at the entrance (I am not allowed to get out the car, cause apparently I make him worse !!!) to take himj into school and to go through any worries he has written in his little book and for her to tell him of any changes to the day and we find this works well.

This afternoon the Head of SEN telephoned to let me know that Connor's TA will be meeting him on Monday, she thought it would be a good idea to phone so that he would not be worrying over the weekend that she might not be there. She also told me she is contacting outreach to see if she can get some specific training for her SEN Teachers in Autisim. I was so touched, finally they do seem to care and start to understand that there's more to this than an anxious child and a neurotic Mother.

Through all the tears and frustration it finally does seem worth the battle so long may it last.

Just wanted to share with you.

Clare x

Edited by Clare63

steves school make an effort to phone about steve and it makes me feel so much better,im so glad your school are doing the same,hope monday goes ok

That's excellent, Clare!! :party: For them to go out of their way to reassure you both like that shows a really caring attitude on their part. It sounds really promising that they'll do all they can for your lad. Excellent news. :dance:>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~