Sign in to follow this  
hedders

Is it better to have a Slt who have experience of ASD

Is there any difference with them who can spot diffculties with speech and language

Just had a meeting with SLT and dd was assessed using ACE assessment

Told her why i think dd has ASD in good detail bearing in mind her college discharged her as she scored to high.

I found that this slt gave dd so many clues to the answers, she broke down pictures into small details and then asked dd questions, dd also pointed to answers on her sentence ending.

She scored very high

SLT said from what you said and the outcome of the scores its like 2 different people.

She does still have some mild sound immutirites that will go, she does make grammer errors in her sentences but will decrease in time will review her in 6 months to discharge her she doesnt have any language diffculties.

As for always talking about past not present she said but even though she does this she still understandings the questions- doesnt make sense with words like yesterday, tomorrow etc..

She observed that dd was very restless kept trying to rush and not listening or looking properly and dd started crying got really distressed so i took her back to class.

Told her its because of change in her routine and she doesnt like it if i come into her school.

Am i better of getting a private SLT who has experience.

I also mentioned dyspraxia of speech she said its very rare and children with this cant prounance any words.

Hi,

I am no expert but have had lots of Speech & Language assessments with M.

Bearing in mind M is 6 so this may not apply to your dd. Whenever m is assessed i too think 'he is being helped, guided towards the answers' and wonder how a true picture can be formed but M's therapist (who is NHS) scores his twice. he recieves one score for what he has achieved with her help and guidence and another score with what is achieved with no guidance. this is usually quite interesting as it can vary between several years of the scale he is at. e.g at his last assessment for his use of language he scored for a 7 year old when helped (help meaning first letter given to him for telling her what the picture is of - he has word retrievel problems) but when no guidance is given and he tries to access these words himself he scores for a 4 and a half year old.

Perhaps this would have helped you if your dd had been scored for both being helped and recieving no help. As for a SALT with ASD knowledge i'm not sure as i've not needed to go down that route.

Not sure if any of that rambling would have helped but i'm sure someone will come along shortly with much more experience.

mum22boys >:D<<'>

DD is 6 too, i agree that if she didnt help her then it may of been different. The ace assessment is for 6-11yr olds and bearing in mind she only just 6 she scored 55% for a few and one of them 85% just seems a bit too high that this test goes up to 11yr olds.

I wanted tests of her memory, sequencing, expressive, grammer done but wasnt.

I asked why she talks about the past not present when asked questions but only told that even though she does this she still shows that she understands questions.

I asked why on one assessment her grammer was 2 yrs delayed she couldnt explain or wouldnt

I asked why she isnt expressive in social situations she said most children arent

I feel really disappointed

I really feel she was trying to get the previous slt out of trouble for discharging

This slt knew exactly what my concerns were, when i said that the class teacher is concerned she said that she was only interested in me and asked if i was the only one concerned.

NHS cover up!!!!!!!!

I can predict the ot who has gone into hiding because her report sugests ASD and proff not happy as they already discharged her, it wont be long for her to do the same.

Edited by hedders

Don't know if this helps at all, but here goes!

DS2 has Sp & Lang on his Statement. He's in Year 2. the therapist has been threatening discharge since his last Review, so we went for an independent sp and lang assessment. She did the ACE, and observed formally and informally and did a school visit too. She reported that he had substantial receptive and expressive language disorder, which was (a) established at his diagnostic assessment and (B) reported by his NHS therapist in Year R.

By Year 1 the NHS therapist reported that testing showed he was now age appropriate and she would be looking to discharge him. At the Review meeting a fortnight ago, we asked if she wanted to discharge because she felt she could do no more for him; she replied but nothing needs to be done. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

We are now looking to move him to special school because this mainstream malarkey is just not working.

ok how much do they cost??

I got a gp app on tuesday i will take in her previous slt reports the gp will already have the ot report and pead saying she took along time to produce written words and a picture which was why she was referred to ot.

Can gp referr children to nuffield ??

I dont know if he will say its up to the pead but she isnt exaclty supportive anyway.