Sign in to follow this  
hedders

feeling down

I feeling really down today, i got used to proff saying im anxious and myself feeling parnoid about dds even though i know deep dowm im right

I dont know if i can cope if SLT are trying to indicate that they cant see any diffculties in older dd so there must be a problem at home, the school share the same view.

It makes me sad this slt said she was going to contact my younger dd slt as i told her that she indicated that my younger dd is displaying impairments of Autism prob HFA and wants her to go to a assessment unit and asked if there was any autism in the family which i said i think i have.

I told her the teacher has concerns about her communication she wouldnt listen asking if things were alright at home.

No ones believes me,

Older dd is getting hysterical when i take her into class on a morning i know its because she having prob with her 2 friends, i need to tell the teacher but how there all saying its me.

Edited by hedders

Hi

I felt like I had the finger pointed at me during the diagnostic process for my son and that wasn't me just being paranoid! It makes me mad - Paed asked to look through my son's DVD collection which was ridiculous (he certainly wasn't watching the Exorcist or Terminator!). This was at a time when Robert was particularly abusive and saying strange things as well as making bizarre threats. Thing was, when I listened to his interpretation of a fairytale or postman pat episode, I was stunned. Basically, Robert was way off the mark and that was a real eye opener - his account of PC Plod in Postman Pat was very bizarre/scary yet there was no obvious reason why he should have made such an interpretation. This was basically proven. I think in general schools aren't interested if behaviour is fine at school and are quick to point the finger at what goes on (or what doesn't!!!) at home. This has also been the case with us on several occasions. It's back to the old thing that it's well documented why a child may behave differently at home compared to school - they try so hard to fit in, conform, concentrate, etc that by the time the bell goes and they're home they've had enough and vent!!! At the end of the day, we can only do our best and try and ensure a stable, calm, firm and loving homelife, but when you have a child that has an ASD that doesn't guarantee normality. You're not to blame! Keep the chin up.

Regards

Caroline.

Hi

It's back to the old thing that it's well documented why a child may behave differently at home compared to school - they try so hard to fit in, conform, concentrate, etc that by the time the bell goes and they're home they've had enough and vent!!! At the end of the day, we can only do our best and try and ensure a stable, calm, firm and loving homelife, but when you have a child that has an ASD that doesn't guarantee normality. You're not to blame! Keep the chin up.

Regards

Caroline.

Hi

Tony Attwood has written a good book (in fact several) which does cover this - The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome. The Autistic Spectrum: A Guide for Parents and Professionals by Lorna Wing is also worth a read. Have a read, that'll arm you with the amunition that you need to face teachers, etc. I'd turn it back on them and tell them that they should know this. I know that my son is a little Jekyll and Hyde - the older he gets the more obvious that becomes. Thankfully, enough people have witnessed this type of behaviour and I know have an acknowledgement that I'm not to blame. It's so hard to take others pointing the finger, especially at a time when you're feeling down and in need of support.

please dont get down about it i know its hard

ive felt exactly the same with my son

i still do know at times

but you have to live with it 24/7

they dont -nor do half hour appointments show all the trouble that is happening at home

i tell you wont changed things for me hedders i started cam cordering it and taping it on a dictiphone

camhs even asked me to do this -well when they saw it they really did change there tune

i did it over a week filming all the meltdowns that was going on regarding getting dressed/puting shoes on-transitions from door to car ect...............

i suggest you do the same its worth it to give you peace of mind that the experts can see what your having to deal with at home

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

dont give in

ive had to battle on since my son was 2 he will be 6 in june and its still not over yet....................your not on your own >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hedders, so sorry to hear how down your are feeling, sadly I don't have any advice for you but know exactly what you mean when you say the proffesional say you are anxious and paranoid, I have been left feeling very neurotic, I am sometimes worried I will end up believing them, but I know my child and the fight must go on.

Thinking of you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x