Sign in to follow this  
Frangipani

Tsunami warning over here

Its 10pm and the first I have heard of it. My daughter advised two of the local schools were evacuated. All of the east coast of Australia is on alert all the way down to Tasmania.

Will have to get that camera out and take some piccies. Like last time .

They are making such a big fuss when the alert is only for sea level rise of 15 centimetres, nothing like 50 feet.

Will have to check out the news to find out what is going on, been out all night so I havent a clue, just heard the headlines. You probably heard before me.

Great alert system we have :rolleyes::clap:

:wacko:

Edited by Frangipani

Eva,

How are things down there, Queenslanders are in a mad flap over it......!!!!

:( Just wondering. Quite bad in the Solomons.

:( Hope this isnt the start of what they have been afraid of for some time with New Zealand. Remember that mountain in the North Island the lake breaking the walls down.

My daughter is all paranoid now, she is wondering how high above sea level we are as we are 1 km if that from the coast. But we live on a ridge so we are quite high, but her school is closer....

I dont think we have ever had a Tsunami warning before..... there are many low level areas along the coast only cm's above sea level. They showed some images of what 10cm would do flowing through some of our major cities.

Did you see the one where they showed the water flow through the MCG and beyond, and through Sydney Harbour and the Sunshine Coast.

With all this talk of Global warming who knows what to expect..... all the media hype it is hard to know what to believe, I think they over exaggerate sometimes.

;)

Edited by Frangipani

Well, it's all quiet down here. What Tsunami warning :blink: ?

My brother and his family are in Sydney at the moment and my sil said that channel 7 interviewed them at Manly beach because they hadn't left despite the warning - she was made to look like a bad mother :shame: .( Apparently the tv crew spent a long time interviewing a tanned, skinny, beautiful pommy woman! )

I don't live anywhere near the beach, our water tank is the closet body of water so we're safe. Hope your daughter doesn't get too stressed about it, must be scary though.

Hey, I'm coming to Sydney for the day later this month! Are the cockroaches in hybernation now :lol: ?

Eva

Cockroaches indeed!!!! :shame::lol:

For those of you that don't know thats what Victorians and Queenslanders call New South Welshmen'

:shame::lol: I wont say what we call Victorians :oops: I would like to remain friends. :devil::lol:

Well we call them 'plastic' can't get warmed to them :lol::lol: now the swords out.!!! hahahahaha!!!!

:thumbs:

Manly were evacuated!!!! thats 2 km from me, my daughter was in class and a student asked the teacher if they could go home to as two of the local schools Mackellar and Stella Maris were evacuated, my daughters school is closer to the water than Mackellar.

They think the warning was a bit bizarre or exaggerated, but nothing better than having a drill or practise in case the real thing happens, at least they know how they will react. They say all they can give us is a two hour warning. Well we got that yesterday and I didnt find out until 10pm :ph34r:

Might change where I do my shopping its on the edge of a lagoon that comes right off the beach, now I am sounding paranoid. :rolleyes: Just kidding !!!!!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Frangipani

Solomons just had a smaller earthquake this time 6.2.

I feel sorry for the New Zealanders as they must be quite anxious at the moment as they have been predicting a big one over there for some time.

So many little Islands off Vanuatu that don't have communications must be concerned.

Yesterday they said the warning went from Tasmania all the way up to Alaska...!!!

You wonder how the Indonesians and people from PNG sleep at night being right on the fault-line, thats the same problem for NZ.

Hopefully thats it for now.

;)

Frangipani,

I was being serious about the cockroaches - i meant the real ones, the huge disgusting indestructible things! My brother and I used to go out at night with fly swats having a competition over who could flatten the most. Gross.

Eva

Frangipani,

I was being serious about the cockroaches - i meant the real ones, the huge disgusting indestructible things! My brother and I used to go out at night with fly swats having a competition over who could flatten the most. Gross.

Eva

Well thats all right then :thumbs::rolleyes::lol::lol: no we dont have a problem here, I think it depends on how old the house is and dampness, they love dampness, and perhaps the humidity is a problem too. I remember a Hotel I stayed at in Bali about a dozen of them crawled out of the shower drain, I quickly checked out of that place. :sick:

They are double the size in the desert, creepy !!!!

:o;)

I stayed with one of the teachers sisters in Kenya. That is the only time I have ever seen Cockroaches. I just blanked it from my mind. After all I was sleeping in a room with a lot of them for company. Unfortunatally the house she lived in had problems with the water. It only worked at night so wasn't overly hygenic. Apparently she has moved now. Don't know if I'll visit her new house or not. Ihogo (the teacher) was only happy to take me as I appeared so confident. Will need to stay somewhere nearby the night we arrive though. Anyways have good fun on your trip. David.

P.S. I hope I am making sense. I think I am but probably not the best judge of that at the moment. My typing abilities are lower than normal at any rate. So sorry for any mistakes.

I stayed with one of the teachers sisters in Kenya. That is the only time I have ever seen Cockroaches. I just blanked it from my mind. After all I was sleeping in a room with a lot of them for company. Unfortunatally the house she lived in had problems with the water. It only worked at night so wasn't overly hygenic. Apparently she has moved now. Don't know if I'll visit her new house or not. Ihogo (the teacher) was only happy to take me as I appeared so confident. Will need to stay somewhere nearby the night we arrive though. Anyways have good fun on your trip. David.

P.S. I hope I am making sense. I think I am but probably not the best judge of that at the moment. My typing abilities are lower than normal at any rate. So sorry for any mistakes.

Hi David,

We have you confused, we are not on holiday, Eva lives in Melbourne and I am from New South Wales, we often have a joke at each other as its quite common for interstate rivalry. Silly Aussie humour, although other cultures may not know if we are serious or not, but we are just joking really..... :thumbs::thumbs:

With the Tsunami in the Solomons all of the East coast had warnings for the Tsunami and two of our local schools were evacuated in a straight line we are less than a kilometre from the sea, and I was having a joke because I didnt find out until 10pm that evening when I saw a newsflash..

Getting back to the cockroaches Eva was talking about in Sydney they are like 4 cm's big, but in the desert they are like 8 cm's big. How big were those in Kenya. The ones over here would make you jump on the couch, summer time is worst.

:)

I'd worked out you live in Aussi land. We just don't tend to see cockroaches here in the U.K. I guess the climate isn't suitable for them or something. I'm glad to say we don't have Tsunami's either. Having said that I am a long way in land and up on top of a hill where I live. The school I work at presently is also most of the way up a hill. Hence there is little chance of flooding from any eventuality. The coackroaches in Kenya were about 6cm I guess. Wasn't overly pleasent. Then again had a lot of run ins out there with the local wildlife. One night when I was down at the Mara camping we were visited by a big cat. Not 100% what type it was as I didn't see it (was in my tent at the time getting ready for bed). Next thing I knew was there was pandomonium outside and I was sitting wondering what was going on. First thoughts were someone had come into our campsite. I knew there had been a murder there a few years earlier but hadn't mentioned it to anyone else. I was rather relieved to find out it was only a big cat. That I knew as soon as they had seen it, they would have startled off. Still get complained at to this day about how calm I was when they told me what the problem was. Not to mention how little understanding I showed for their reactions (had one of my friends, a teacher from the school I was volunteering at, the ex-physics teacher from the school and one of his drivers). Never dared tell them fully why I was so calm. My first thoughts we're of something much worse.

Not 100% what type it was as I didn't see it (was in my tent at the time getting ready for bed). Next thing I knew was there was pandomonium outside and I was sitting wondering what was going on. First thoughts were someone had come into our campsite. I knew there had been a murder there a few years earlier but hadn't mentioned it to anyone else. I was rather relieved to find out it was only a big cat. That I knew as soon as they had seen it, they would have startled off. Still get complained at to this day about how calm I was when they told me what the problem was. Not to mention how little understanding I showed for their reactions (had one of my friends, a teacher from the school I was volunteering at, the ex-physics teacher from the school and one of his drivers). Never dared tell them fully why I was so calm. My first thoughts we're of something much worse.

OMG I would have been up the tree like a shot. Have you watched at movie "Ghost of the Darkness" with Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas, definitely a must see, one of my sons favourite movies.

I get goose bumps just thinking about that movie, its a 'Thriller' certainly not for the faint hearted.

I am amazed how calm you were too. :o:o:clap: panic is the worst thing in these situations.

:thumbs:

Fran :)

Never watched many thrillers though I do quite like some of them. I guess the main reason I don't watch many is because my friends aren't into them. I'll have to try and find a copy and watch it with my brother. He'll normally watch just about anything. Well if you call watching something sitting in the same room playing on World of Warcraft. Still he'd tell you afterwards he'd watched it and can normally outline the plot I guess.

My reactions when I'm worried or frightened tend to be one of the following:

1) Freeze - Tends to only be a very short while then normally quite good at thinking on my feet. Normally appear scarily calm in this situation.

2) Laugh - Really annoys some people especially if it is because something has just happened by accident. I know it isn't the best reaction but sometimes can't help myself.

3) I just react and go with my instincts. I did this a few times when I was in Nairobi. I was told afterwards by the Local Kenyan with me that he was suprised as I tended to come to the same conclusion as him at about the same time. Then I'd just act straight away and go with my gut feeling. (This is why I don't think I could ever go down as Autistic, I tend to be able to read people, places and situations.)

Talking about creepy crawlies, do you have Drop Bears in Britain?

Frangipani, do you get many White-tailed spiders? We seem to get heaps and they give very nasty bites, the bitten area swells up like a balloon, but contrary to urban myth, (I've found this out recently), the poison doesn't spread and melt your skin. That's a different spider bite.

Cheers,

Eva

Not heard of Drop Bears. We've not really got many unpleasent creepy crawlies here. Certainly don't have anything poisonous that I can think off. Well not creepy wise. We have a single poisonous snake, the adder. Worst we ever get generally is harmless spiders. Just been mild for a few years so they're managing to grow bigger than they used to.