Sign in to follow this  
baddad

oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

an ad came on my tv tonight for a particular type of childrens potato based snack...

There's some inane, grinning nonentity telling me how much fat they've removed from the product as if I'm supposed to be pleased...

Turn it on it's head, and what's actually being said is 'Guess how much fat we thought it appropriate to put in a childs snack before new legislation and government intervention forced us to rethink'........ Just thought you'd like to know... :angry::angry::angry:

Now if only they'd take out all the MSG, artificial colouring, artificial flavouring, artificial sweeteners and dairy/gluten based derivatives (which have nothing whatsoever to do with potatoes) they might end up with a product my son could eat without turning into Norman Bates' 'evil' twin brother!!

L&P& potato based snax

BD :D

Sighhh...crisps are my weakness and I try not to think too hard about what's in 'em. :(

It came as a surprise recently to learn milk is one of the ingredients - why???! :huh:

K x

The bit that bugs me is the line 'Just thought you'd want to know'....................................*smug grin*

Ermm, nope, mr smug - what id really like to know is what else is in them and why............... :wallbash:

Did you hear of the downfall of a well known brand of blackcurrent drink, do you get that product over there, maybe not as they are a New Zealand based company. Well, two Aussie students did tests on a whole range of fruit juices to see if they actually contained the amount of Vitamin C that they stated on the labels.

The particular brand mentioned for the past two years have had this massive advertising campaign saying that Blackcurrants have four times the amount of vitamin C than oranges. So they have been plastering this all over their labels and ads.

Well, when the tests came back it contained nothing but 'Syrup' :shame: so now they have put stickers over their labels that mention the content of Vitamin C.

They got away with it for how many years?????

How many other products are out there with false claims like that.

Trans fats is the big one they are targeting now. Thats supposed to maintain the shelf life of a product. Thats why a certain fast food outlet's cheeseburger will stay fresh for two years without going mouldy.

:blink::sick:

OUCH! My fault entirely for starting this thread - but we can't actually name names!

I'll be copy/pasting this in all subsequent posts too, but if anyone else is adding fresh stuff to the topic, please tread carefully! :pray::pray:

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad

We have that brand too though it is made by a different company to a different recipie. Still managed to make it onto News Round (childrens news) however. As far as I know the UK variety is as specified on the label.

"You may have heard recently some drinks in Australia and New Zealand have been found to contain less Vitamin C than stated on pack. The case came about because the method we had used for testing Australian and New Zealand products was not sensitive enough to measure the natural break down in Vitamin C that occurs over time while this type of product is on shelf.

First things first: we wanted to reassure you this isn�??t the case in the UK. The drink contains the levels of Vitamin C as stated on our packaging and we�??re still committed to producing the same quality refreshment that�??s been enjoyed in the UK for the last 70 years. During that time we've worked with three generations of blackcurrant growers to create the unique taste we know our consumers love.

We also wanted to let you know that our consumers are obviously our number one concern. It was never our intention to mislead consumers in Australia and New Zealand and we're really sorry this has happened. We�??ve moved to a new method of testing Vitamin C levels in those countries and we�??re also developing a new recipe for our drinks in Australia and New Zealand to ensure Vitamin C levels are maintained over shelf life."

OUCH! My fault entirely for starting this thread - but we can't actually name names!

I'll be copy/pasting this in all subsequent posts too, but if anyone else is adding fresh stuff to the topic, please tread carefully! :pray::pray:

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad

Rats, I really liked the sickly sweet taste of the old version!

Eva

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad

I heard somewhere there's more sugar in that blackcurrent product than there is in cola !!!!

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad

There was a big campaign a few years ago when a new fruit orange drink was introduced ............remember it?..........well during a lovelly chat with a dietician (cos me little treasure would,nt eat :rolleyes: es: )....she told me they get the lovely smooth texture to the juice by using vegetable oil :sick: ...........sure enough I checked the label at the supermarket the next time I was there and vegetable oil was added.Not such a pure fruit orange drink :whistle:

I also really HATE the food adverts for a very famous high street store.............the smary female voice over :wallbash: who sounds on the verge of :whistle: over-excitement.....chatting about "our succulent juicy pork-o-licious sausages served with greeney tangy sloppy apple sauce and topped off with smoothly mashed up fluffy wuffy potato.........AAAAGGHHH!!!!.................................

L&P

BD

Edited by baddad