Sign in to follow this  
hobbityhole

ADVICE DESPERATELY NEEDED!

Hi anyone who can offer us some urgent advice on how to deal with the going away on holiday thing? We are off (not far) to the IOW on Monday and we have told our son what's happening and made him pictures ready for his schedule but my husband & I are both really worried we will have a repeat of last year with the temper tantrums, the return/worsening of obsessive behaviour & toilet training regression, constant repetitive speech, hitting etc. - admittedly last year we didn't know about schedule etc. as he'd only just been diagnosed but we came back exhausted and really stressed about the whole experience.

HELP! Before we decide to leave him with the dinosaurs! (Not that he'd mind provided it was the Triceratops!)

:unsure:

Hi,

Not sure how old your son is but my son is 6 and we always have problems.

Last year we not only did him a visual timetable but also bought a book on airports and let him have the holiday brochure. The airport book was a godsend and although we still had problems it did limit them on the travel side of things. You can never prepare your child for everything and that is the hardest part. Our problems begin if people speak to m so avoiding that is not possible.

I can only suggest you get as much info together as possible. Go on the internet and print off(if possible) pictures of the place you are staying, places you may visit and how you intend to get there (boat i assume!)

You can never have too much info at hand to help smooth things over. Perhaps once you have printed it out you can stick it in a book especially for him, make him part of it and make him feel he is in control.

Good Luck, i know how hard it is, we go through it every year!

mum22boys

Hiya,

Sounds like you've done some great ground work :thumbs: , it tends to be learning as you go along with our kiddies. Some cope better, and each has a different set of what they can cope with - and also, a different set of how they can cope............ and what can used to help them.............

One thing i learnt (through experience! :wallbash::tearful: ) with my son - is to have days/outings planned, and keep a timetable of that with you/him.

I've tried all-sorts - the only really, really relaxing holiday we've had together has been at my aunts house in bournemouth. She's fab - gives me a key, and we just get on with it - it's in a familiar house, with familiar surroundings (we're beach babes! B) ). Each year i've push a little further - and we've explored some new experiences, but it's slow going with my little monkey! They're all different tho - my friends little lad absolutely loves new things and new experiences... :wacko::lol:

Have a great (and relaxing :pray: ) holiday! :thumbs: