Sign in to follow this  
Rachelp2

Child Tax Credits??!! Help Please

Hello,

Because I am on Income Support I didn't think i'd be entitled to this, I thought it was like Family Allowance! but just rung up to ask out of curiosity and it seems I should have been getting this but never have!

Does anyone know how it works? How much it is a month for 1 child?

Wouldn't you think someone would tell us about this or is it just me who didn't know :rolleyes:

Then again it's nothing to do with Income Support or DLA so why would they tell me? If I'm entitled then I'll be pleased all the same, every little helps lol!

Sorry it's a bit off topic or mentioned anywhere else on here but tried to do a search but found nothing.

Thanks in advance if you want to enlighten me :notworthy:

You will be entitled to it that's for sure. You should be able to download the form or apply on line.... the site will be on the Inland Revenue website. You will get it back dated for 3 months only though. Also if your child is on higher rate care for DLA (perhaps middle too.. I'm not sure) you get a disabled child supplement. Probably around �250 a month depending on your household income.

Flo'

It depends on when you started getting IS.

The old system: you get the money for your children in your IS. It should be obvious if this is the case from your letters from IS that break down the amounts you get.

The new system: you get money for you + your housing costs from IS, and money for your children from child tax.

Eventually all old claims will be converted over to the new system (but they have been saying this for years). I think you can ask to convert to the new system (sometimes you can be better off), but I kept getting told different things.

If you go on to www.entitledto.co.uk/ and put your income in as �0, it will tell you how much you woudl get for your children.

On both systems you get extra money: a disabled child premium (for middle and low rate care DLA) + enhanced disabled child premium for high rate care DLA.

On IS you get an extra premium if you get carers allowance. Even on the new system they will take any child benefit or CSA off your IS.

Karen

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies...

I now don't think i'll get child tax credits as i'm on the old style Income Support! I thought it seemed too good to be true, they are sending out the forms to me now before I realised this :unsure:

Never mind I felt better off for a few hours anyway :lol: