BonnyScotland

Medical Points for Housing

Hello there :D

Just wondering if someone could help me, as i am trying to get medical points from my housing, I have fill in the application form but just free its not enough information and was going to enclose a letter with it but i'm totally hopeless wording it.

My situation:

There is me and my 3 children ages 16, 13, 11.

We live in a 2 bedroom house

My 16 year old daughter suffers from social phobia & depression, my 13 year old son has asperger's, and my youngest son is 11.

My 2 boys cant share a bedroom and my son with asperger's is sleeping on a bedchair in a small cold dining room with is just off the livingroom.

And i'm having to sleep on a fold out bed in the livingroom.

Just fed up with my housing department couldn't care less attitude, i've auctually be refused medical points before and been told it could be years before i could be offered suitable accomadation.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

You obviously need a 3 bed house and it should be just a matter of presenting the right evidence. It might help if you enclose a letter from your GP or an assessment from social services. Also ask your housing association or Housing Dept. to send you a special needs form (if they have them in your council) and ask your GP or social worker to fill it out for you.

Good luck!!

Curra :)

Hi BonnyScotland,

Do you mind if I ask if your childrens medical problem makes any difference to Housing Benefit if you claim it? I am having problems in that my rent goes up �20 quid a month each year but my HB hardly changes. I can only afford to stay here because of my son's DLA (when we moved in before he was diagnosed it was a much lower rent). I know I should move but in my town all houses are expensive and it would have to be a flat but there is no way my son could cope without a garden to go wild in. Plus he gets upset if we get a new piece of furniture so he would be devastated if we moved.

I am on the housing list but it is a choice based system in this area and all houses in this town go to people who qualify as homeless or vulnerable but AS doesn't count towards this. Before I had my son I was saving for my own house but now I can't even work at all so I feel as if I am destined for a life of high rent

Have you got a social worker who can fight your corner with the medical points?

Edited by chriss

I would make an arranged meeting with your local MP and discuss with him/her the living arrangements and why your sons who are 13 and 11 cant sleep in the same room.

Your MP will hold regular sergeries throw out your area, your local library will have more information on this.

you should be able to get a 3 bedroomed house because once a female reaches puberty they are entitled to their own room, (periods, body changes)

you really need to push for a four bedroomed house if your sons cant share if its a safety issue if they did share.

There is housing support services so ask your local CIB for your areas independant housing advice centre.

The information from the GP is clarification of medical conditions/diagnosis and medical points per household.

good luck,

JsMum

Just looked a couple of websites for you and this was interesting though very destressing when you realise just what the effects are when a family is overcrowded, then with children with special needs this must be very difficult to live with.

anyway hope these help.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/files/seeals...g%20effects.pdf

http://england.shelter.org.uk/home/index.cfm

have you also checked out any Housing associasions that may cater for families with special needs.

shelter could also help with getting letters done for the application process for a larger dwelling, so do check out your local housing advice centre.

JsMum

If you are talking about council housing or social housing then you may well be able to present your case for a 4 bedroom house. You as an adult are entitled to your own room, your girl would also be. Your boys would normally be required to share but since one has aspergers you could present your case for seperate rooms. I have a friend who recently did just this with our local council ( completed transfer ) and was given seperate rooms.

Mention things like poor sleeping patterns, need for lights differing, noise,need for own space etc if they are causing difficulties. I was making a case for my 2 children who are opposite sex and both under 10 to have own rooms as they cannot share but thankfully managed to secure a mutual exchange where they will have seperate rooms - the third is tiny but will be ideal for my son who would sleep curled in a cardboard box if he could ( if the house im moving to is still ok since the ground shook in folkestone yesterday, we have far less chimneys and roofs that the day before!)

We've just been given a council house (3 bed - we have 2 boys and are in a 2 bed atm) on medical need.

We were originally turned down, I appealed and we were awarded medical priority 2nd time around. I enclosed some reports detailing G's violent behaviour, his need for space (and his younger brother's need for a refuge from his brother's behaviour) and also got a letter from the GP which was quite short as she doesn't know G very well but it all went to help our case.

I also approached our local councillor who was prepared to help if our appeal was turned down.

We still waited a while but this is because 3 bed houses are scarce but we did finally get one. Because this house had a stair lift in it was given to the medical section who awarded it to us even though we didn't actually need a stair lift if that makes sense, therefore in the end we didn't go through the traditional list.

Keep trying, I've found if you keep at these things you will get there in the end.