Sign in to follow this  
MelowMeldrew

The cure is there

Consistently, those that show contempt for ethics and morality also show contempt at the way Autistic people communicate and feel the need to justify their disgusting standards by seperating those capable of saying no from those who can say no but are easier to ignore with all kinds of invisible lines drawn between them.

This kind of thinking has infected the forum, so I'm not staying.

Ok, so show one post which categorically illustrates the kind of thinking you refer to. I can't find anywhere where anyone has expressed the views you are accusing. With respect Lucas (which is more than you have offered), you are reading into something that isn't there, well certainly not on this forum.

Almost everybody on this forum is affected by autism one way or another. This is probably the last place you'd find any sort of 'contempt' at the way autistic people communicate. If they did I'm sure there'd be plenty who had something to say, but as far as I can see you are the only person complaining, and also as far as I've read, there's absolutely nothing to complain about.

Flora

Definately the last.

Sorry Flora, but some other members disagree and have said as much to me but don't speak openly on the forum because they feel there's this magical entity called 'stability' that is too important. How can I show you examples of what I speak of when some are posted just a short distance from the quote you copied yet you missed them?

How can I show you examples of what I speak of when some are posted just a short distance from the quote you copied yet you missed them?

Just copy them and point them out as examples.

Flora

I like Amanda Baggs, she is clever, funny, has clear opinions on things and has a strong sense of justice and rights, not just for autistic people, but for all people.

With regard to communication, I know when my son presses his forehead against me he's kissing me. I know when he goes quiet and makes patterns over and over with his blocks that he's overwhelmed and needs time to settle himself. I know that when he wants help with something he places my hand on the object and uses my hands to communicate his wishes. I do not require verbal speech for him, but for him to be able to communicate if he's hungry, or thirsty, or needs the toilet in a way I understand. Whether that's via more body language, signing, pictures or words.

I know, from a personal perspective, what it's like to struggle with expressing myself and communicating in a way that I can cope with and others understand. I know what it's like to sit there, being told "if I was her I'd kill myself" and that I was "thick and stupid" and being unable to show any emotion, or to respond 99% of the time other than becoming increasingly withdrawn. I know what it's like to not be able to tell someone I need the toilet, or that I need new clothes (same PE kit at school for the whole of the secondary school). I know what it's like to be overwhelmed by noises and too many crowds in a public place and not be able to tell people something is wrong other than by being snappy and irritable. I don't want my son to go through that. I either want to understand the way he communicates now, or to find a middle ground where we can both understand each other more.

The attitude people have to morality and ethics say more about those people than it does about morality and ethics. Consistently, those that show contempt for ethics and morality also show contempt at the way Autistic people communicate and feel the need to justify their disgusting standards by seperating those capable of saying no from those who can say no but are easier to ignore with all kinds of invisible lines drawn between them.

This kind of thinking has infected the forum, so I'm not staying.

I have to agree with Flora, Lucas...there has been plenty that I have disagreed with in this thread, but I still don't see this thinking on the forum.

If you and other members really feel this, please please can you all explain why and give examples so that we can understand...at the moment I don't understand :(

I would also like to understand why you feel able to dismiss what other autistic people say if they disagree with you? Surely their 'voice of autism' is as valid as your own?

Bid

Edited by bid