llisa32

Any similarities with language used or explanation of dangers

Hiya,

As a few of you know I've just finally gone ahead and spoken with my GP about my Son and he agrees a referral is required re suspected asd. My brain is still whizzing with all the info on here and you've all been great. I was wondering about another aspect of J's behaviour and if any of you guys have had similar?

He will very frequently use an american term (obs from fav programs on tv) instead of english.

Ie - Garbage instead of Rubbish, dollar instead of pound etc. We have to coax him to keep going to karate practice and his fav part of that is learning the japanese words and not the karate itself :)

He's stated doing french at school and apparently has a good 'ear' for language

I'm just mrs curious at moment :)

Oops! - pressed wrong button then...got pulled away to play power rangers before i'd finished :)

Re explaing the dangers of things...I mean stuff like crossing the road - might get hit by a car if you don't look etc, why you shouldn't talk to strangers.

Instead of me being able to simply say 'be careful when crossing the road otherwise you get hit by a car' I get quizzed about how much it might hurt?, what bones might get broken? would there be blood, would he have to go hospital? etc etc - the list is endless and the same when I say don't talk to strangers.

I've had to be pretty graphic with my responses in the end just hoping that something might sink in

Has anyone else had the same - what do you do?

As far as the language is concerned, J is the same. While he was playing Ty on PS2 he spoke in Australian, greeted people with G'day and used australian phrases. After playing SIMS 2 on PC he started talking and acting in SIM language (which I don't understand!) I have to remind him to talk in English. Then he started talking in what sounded like French! He'd decided to change the set up on one of his games to French language and was reciting it precisely. He has recited adverts back, often days or weeks after seeing it, and usually on random occasions.

I think this is very common amongst children with ASD, and has probably been mentioned elsewhere before.

Thanks, your reply made me laugh :) - j is sooo into adverts! - We get to hear about new toilet cleaners, the phone number for insurers, what a particular brand of pan scourer will do - endless!

He had a particular fixation with 'Cilit Bang' when it first came out and was being advertised..he thought it sounded fantastic!

All pretty entertaining

Ooh yes - to this day J will say trunk instead of boot for the car etc.

And yes yes yes to the constant questioning. One favourite was "is it a law or a rule"

Hiya,

As a few of you know I've just finally gone ahead and spoken with my GP about my Son and he agrees a referral is required re suspected asd. My brain is still whizzing with all the info on here and you've all been great. I was wondering about another aspect of J's behaviour and if any of you guys have had similar?

He will very frequently use an american term (obs from fav programs on tv) instead of english.

Ie - Garbage instead of Rubbish, dollar instead of pound etc. We have to coax him to keep going to karate practice and his fav part of that is learning the japanese words and not the karate itself :)

He's stated doing french at school and apparently has a good 'ear' for language

I'm just mrs curious at moment :)

Oooh that sounds like m'boy! Didnt talk until nearly 4, other than echolalia that is, a complete whirling dervish too. He does americanisms. Latest thing is text-speak, if he finds something funny he SAYS "LOL", drives me nuts! He does karate too, he's a purple belt atm, going for brown soon, to say he didnt talk until nearly four, he is picking up Japanese like a native.

He's going into a seniors ASD unit in september (he is currently in a primary one) and usually they withdraw the ASD kids from RE, modern foreign languages, and PSHE (they do their own version of that), for socials skills and SALT. I've asked them not to withdraw him from MFL because I think he is more than capable of learning another language.

Weird init, dx'd social and communication disorder but an ear for languages........

Sarah

Oops! - pressed wrong button then...got pulled away to play power rangers before i'd finished :)

Re explaing the dangers of things...I mean stuff like crossing the road - might get hit by a car if you don't look etc, why you shouldn't talk to strangers.

Instead of me being able to simply say 'be careful when crossing the road otherwise you get hit by a car' I get quizzed about how much it might hurt?, what bones might get broken? would there be blood, would he have to go hospital? etc etc - the list is endless and the same when I say don't talk to strangers.

I've had to be pretty graphic with my responses in the end just hoping that something might sink in

Has anyone else had the same - what do you do?

That sounds like M'boy too! Do you think they might have been separated at birth?

Alex always wants to know the gory details, dunno if its a thing about blood/gore etc or just needing to know EXACTLY what will happen, probably a bit of both.

Sarah

with the danger issue and stranger issue he could be quite happy going off with people that we wouldnt dream of them going with, but then their is times where he is so tence and nervous near unfamilair people.

The road issue is scarey and totally frightening, J has no idea at all about the actual concequences of been hit by a car, he is convinced he wont die if hit by a bus, that he cant be hurt and that he does look, when he doesnt and I fear that one day he may be knocked down, I hang on to him some days in sheer fear.

J doesnt feel pain the way I do and he seems to be able to take a lot of knocks and falls with hardly a tear, the little falls get the biggest flow of tears and screams but the big ones where you expect a sreak of scream they dont come.

some kids on the spectrum have a different pain tolerance, sensory difficulties make it hard for them to distinguish pain.

J can bang himself hard and not really say it hurts, but if he was to experince pins and needles or numbness he goes mental, he cant stand it, it totally freaks him out.

Pain is something that is experienced differently for some children, I find with J if its a restrictive pain, that doesnt let him move freely drives him mad, he doesnt like it.

I have tried to explain to him the dangers of his actions and many times he has had to experince it to actually then feel it.

sadly five mins later he is off again so its a memory issue as well.

processing, retaining and evaluating over and over again with pictures, smell, taste and touch makes it more real and personal experince to themselves.

Its really hard to get throw to them because it is a lot of sensory issues.

JsMum

:thumbs: Had to laugh K has the most wicked american accent , people stop and comment about how long has in been in uk etc , all money is dollars , postman is mailman , bin man is garbage truck , ice cream van , truck . Its not just terms but he sounds so USA , a kid asked me other why K sounds so posh compare to us :whistle: LOL

As far as the language is concerned, J is the same. While he was playing Ty on PS2 he spoke in Australian, greeted people with G'day and used australian phrases. After playing SIMS 2 on PC he started talking and acting in SIM language (which I don't understand!) I have to remind him to talk in English. Then he started talking in what sounded like French! He'd decided to change the set up on one of his games to French language and was reciting it precisely. He has recited adverts back, often days or weeks after seeing it, and usually on random occasions.

I think this is very common amongst children with ASD, and has probably been mentioned elsewhere before.

C is exactly the same!! We are still going through SIM-speak, we have frequent Japanese and "Americanisms" too. He can also recite almost entire episodes of the Simpsons!

It's really quite skillful when you come to think about it.

I used to do this a lot with "high German" phrases from TV, certainly well into my primary school years. (The spoken language was Swiss German, a dialect rather more radically different from high German than UK English is from American English)

my son is exactly like this, graphic details about dangers, willi die if i fall out the window , no i wont ....will i go to hospital etc.etc .....always runs across a road if he sees something in the road thats not "correct" , or tries ..doesnt usually get away from me ....with regards language, he has had an active interest in speaking spanish french and italian since he was 2 ....could count to ten in french at two and knows a ton of words as well as some chinese and has a massive fascination with langauage, always talks in american accent, elevator and compuder or wadder .....and always whever we are on holiday he starts mimicking sentances and what he hears, he can identify languages brilliant, i think maybe its a forte for them ?? and i read they majorly learn through mimickry which is why when they do things wrong or see other children get away with it they cant get their head around it

xxx